Conservation of momentum ; spring ; friction

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the maximum compression of a spring. The person is struggling with incorporating friction, energy, and momentum in their solution. It is mentioned that neither momentum nor energy are considered conserved in this problem. The solution is given as 1/2 the energy lost divided by the frictional force.
jumpman11372

Homework Statement

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/2281/springblockconsst5.th.jpg

I need help with part 2 of the problem, which asks to find the maximum compression of the spring. I have already found the work done by friction in part 1.

Homework Equations

I know momentum is conserved (duh) and so is energy, although some of both are lost to friction. I really do not know how to get started with this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted setting some equations equal to each other, yet none seem to make sense. I feel helpless without the spring constant. K is not given.

I attempted creating a total conservation formula, yet to no avail. I am clueless how to incorporate friction, energy, and/or momentum together to find [tex]\Delta[/tex]x - compression

HELP PLEASE :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well neither momentum nor energy is considered conserved in this problem, because the system of block and spring lose energy to heat the universe outside the system.

If you have determined the energy lost to friction in part 1, you know this is equal to the frictional force times the distance applied. so the maximum compression is 1/2 the energy lost divided by the frictional force.

oh god! thank you so very much

didn't know why i didn't think of that :] I got the answer right!

What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system (a system with no external forces acting on it) remains constant. This means that the total momentum before an event must equal the total momentum after the event.

How does a spring conserve momentum?

A spring can conserve momentum by transferring it from one object to another. When a spring is compressed or stretched, it stores potential energy. When released, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the object attached to the spring to move and conserve momentum.

What role does friction play in conservation of momentum?

Friction can decrease the amount of momentum conserved in a system. When two objects collide, the force of friction between them can cause them to lose some of their momentum as heat. This means that the total momentum of the system before and after the collision may not be exactly equal.

Can conservation of momentum be violated?

No, the law of conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle of physics and has been proven through countless experiments. In a closed system, the total momentum must remain constant, even if it is transferred between objects or forms of energy.

How is conservation of momentum used in real-world applications?

Conservation of momentum is used in many real-world applications, such as in the design of car airbags, rockets, and sports equipment. It is also essential in understanding the motion of particles in particle accelerators and in analyzing collisions in engineering and accident reconstruction.