Conservation on Angular Momentum

In summary, the figure skater's initial moment of inertia is 4.50 kg*m2 and her final rotation rate is 3.05 revolutions per second. Using the equation for conservation of angular momentum, her final moment of inertia can be calculated by setting up the equation L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular speed.
misskk24
A figure skater during her finale can increase her rotation rate from an initial rate of 1.02 revolutions every 2.08 s to a final rate of 3.05 revolutions per second. If her initial moment of inertia was 4.50 kg*m2, what is her final moment of inertia?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far? Please show us your work.

:\

i'm bascially stuck
i have no idea where to begin

Can you state what the equation for angular momentum is? What does your textbook say?

L=mvr

?

but the inertia is I=(1/2)MR^2

misskk24 said:
L=mvr

?

You want this form

[tex]L = I\omega [/tex]

Is that one in your book? L is angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and [tex]\omega[/tex] is the angular speed.

Maybe look around here to learn about it: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/conser.html#conamo

but the inertia is I=(1/2)MR^2

You don't need this, since you were given the initial value of I directly in the question. You are trying to find the final value.

So if angular momentum is conserved, what will your equation look like?

1. What is conservation of angular momentum?

Conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant in the absence of external torque.

2. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved through the principle of torque, which is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular acceleration. In the absence of external torque, the angular momentum will remain constant.

3. What are some real-life examples of conservation of angular momentum?

Some real-life examples of conservation of angular momentum include the spinning of a top, the rotation of Earth on its axis, and the movement of an ice skater during a spin.

4. Does conservation of angular momentum apply to all types of motion?

Yes, conservation of angular momentum applies to all types of rotational motion, including circular, elliptical, and irregular motion.

5. What are the implications of conservation of angular momentum for space travel?

Conservation of angular momentum plays a crucial role in space travel, as it allows spacecraft to change their orientation and speed by using the principle of conservation of momentum. This principle is also used in the design of satellites and other space vehicles.