Understanding Conservative and Velocity Dependent Forces in Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of velocity dependent force fields and whether they can be considered conservative. It is stated that for a force to be conservative, it must only be a function of position and the work done by the force on a particle must be the same for all paths. It is further explained that this is because a force field is conservative only if it is the negative gradient of a scalar field. However, it is questioned whether there could be a hypothetical velocity dependent force field that is path independent, and the conversation concludes by discussing the importance of considering mathematical statements in physics as universal versus local.
kmm
I actually have a few things I'm thinking about here. I'm curious as to whether a velocity dependent force field absolutely cannot be a conservative force field, in principle. I have at times come across statements in physics that I found out had mathematical exceptions for, but we don't actually run into in physics. For example, I think I read in Griffith's Quantum Mechanics that a good mathematician can give "pathological" examples of normalizable wave functions that don't actually go to zero at infinity, but we don't come across those in physics, so we ignore those and state that only wave functions that go to zero at infinity are normalizable. Now for my current concern, I'm aware that for a force to be conservative, it must be a function only of position, and the work done by that force on a particle as it moves between two points is the same for all paths. Now it's clear to me that velocity dependent forces we come across in physics, such as friction or air resistance are not conservative since the work required to move a particle between two points is path dependent. What isn't obvious to me is the claim that NO velocity dependent force field could do work that is path independent. Maybe I'm misunderstanding and this isn't actually the claim. If it is, while it seems correct intuitively, it doesn't seem obvious that one couldn't construct such a hypothetical force field. Maybe this would just be one of those "pathological" fields? In pondering this, it has also made me wonder when I'm studying physics, to what extent should I take mathematical statements in physics as universal, or just local to physics if it isn't explicitly stated?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the answer lies in the fact that a force field is conservative iff it is the negative gradient of a scalar field, as proven here.

In that case, the force applied to a body by a conservative field is entirely determined by the body's position. Hence the force cannot depend on velocity.

Likes kmm
andrewkirk said:
I think the answer lies in the fact that a force field is conservative iff it is the negative gradient of a scalar field, as proven here.

In that case, the force applied to a body by a conservative field is entirely determined by the body's position. Hence the force cannot depend on velocity.

OK, now thinking of it from the perspective of the derivative makes it clear. I was actually already aware of that, but for some reason, I was stuck trying to see it by trying to evaluate a path integral. Thanks for flipping my brain on this

1. What is the difference between conservative and non-conservative forces?

Conservative forces are those that do not dissipate energy and can be fully recovered, such as gravitational and elastic forces. Non-conservative forces, on the other hand, dissipate energy and cannot be fully recovered, such as friction and air resistance.

2. How do conservative forces affect the motion of an object?

Conservative forces only affect the potential energy of an object and not its kinetic energy. This means that as long as there is no external work done on the object, its total mechanical energy (potential + kinetic) remains constant.

3. What is the significance of the potential energy associated with conservative forces?

The potential energy associated with conservative forces represents the amount of work that can be done by the force on an object. It is also a measure of the energy stored in a system, which can be converted into kinetic energy as the object moves.

4. How is the velocity of an object affected by velocity dependent forces?

Velocity dependent forces, such as air resistance, act in the opposite direction of an object's motion and increase with the object's velocity. This means that as the velocity increases, the force also increases, ultimately resulting in a decrease in the object's velocity.

5. Can conservative and velocity dependent forces act simultaneously on an object?

Yes, both types of forces can act simultaneously on an object. In this case, the total force on the object is the vector sum of the individual forces. The conservative force will only affect the object's potential energy, while the velocity dependent force will affect its velocity and kinetic energy.