1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Conservative Vector Fields

1. Apr 28, 2010 #1
    If C is the curve given by r(t)=<1+3sin(t), 1+5sin^2(t), 1+5sin^3(t)>, 0≤t≤π/2 and F is the radial vector field F(x, y, z)=<x, y, z>, compute the work done by F on a particle moving along C.

Work= int (F dot dr)

If F is the potential function(?), do I integrate F with respect to each variable, then substitute the values of x, y, and z in r(t)? Would this then just be dotted into 1 since d/dt sin(t) is cos(t), which is 0 at π/2? Would my answer be something like (4^2/2)+(6^2/2)+(6^2/2)?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: [itex]d\textbf{r}=\textbf{r}'(t)dt[/itex] :wink:

4. Apr 28, 2010 #3
    So the integral is gross?

5. Apr 29, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, the point of my hint is that you should differentiate your position function with respect to [itex]t[/itex], and then take the dot product with the position function and finally integrate the result. You'll have something like 6 terms to integrate, but they should all be straightforward.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook