Conserved Energy vs. Used Energy

• Thread starter 1irishman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the concept of conserving momentum and kinetic energy refers to the idea of maintaining the same amount of these physical quantities in a system, without any being gained or lost. This is a fundamental principle known as the 'laws of conservation.' To better understand this concept, think of 'conserve' as 'to keep' rather than 'to save.' If you are still unsure, please clarify what specific aspect you need help with.
1irishman

Homework Statement

I do not understand what it means to conserve momentum, or conserve kinetic energy etc.

Homework Equations

the 'laws of conservation.'

The Attempt at a Solution

I think of the word 'conserve' as not using or saving. Please help me understand?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
'conserved' in the sense of 'to keep'
Energy is conserved means there is no energy gained or lost in the process.

Oh. So...position and/or motion...sorry...i'm still lost here...please help?

1irishman said:
Oh. So...position and/or motion...sorry...i'm still lost here...please help?

It's not really clear what you're asking. Can you clarify what you are still having difficulty with? Did you understand what was in mgb_phys's post?

What "energy" is gained or lost? Gained or lost from where? What is energy?

1. What is conserved energy?

Conserved energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

2. What is used energy?

Used energy refers to the energy that has been transformed from its original form and has been used to perform work or produce a change in a system.

3. What is the difference between conserved energy and used energy?

The main difference between conserved energy and used energy is that conserved energy remains constant in a closed system, while used energy is transformed and can no longer be used to perform work in its original form.

4. How is conserved energy different from renewable energy?

Conserved energy is a universal principle that applies to all types of energy, including renewable energy. However, renewable energy refers to sources of energy that are naturally replenished, while conserved energy can be transformed into different forms but cannot be created or destroyed.

5. Why is understanding conserved energy vs. used energy important?

Understanding conserved energy vs. used energy is crucial in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and environmental science. It allows us to predict and understand the behavior of energy in various systems and make informed decisions about energy use and conservation.