Consider a ray at the interface air and glass

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between incident angle i and refracted angle r at an interface between air and glass with a refractive index of 1.5. It is suggested that this relationship can be expressed as a straight line, r = m i + c, and further data is presented to support this idea. The conversation then mentions using Snell's law and functions to find a more accurate representation of this relationship.
Gamma
Consider a ray at the interface air and glass (n = 1.5). We know that incident angle i and refracted angle r are related by sin i = 1.5 sin r

Can we some how show the relationship between i and r is r = m i + c (straight line)?

If you look at the following data, it follows the Snell's law and r = 0.6 i + 1.

i r
10 7
20 13
30 19
40 25
50 31

Physics news on Phys.org
Gamma said:
Consider a ray at the interface air and glass (n = 1.5). We know that incident angle i and refracted angle r are related by sin i = 1.5 sin r

Can we some how show the relationship between i and r is r = m i + c (straight line)?

If you look at the following data, it follows the Snell's law and r = 0.6 i + 1.

i r
10 7
20 13
30 19
40 25
50 31

Hoping this is not an homework, write r as function of i using Snell's law, then develop the functions sin and arcsin to the appropriate order (in radians), considering that 50° are less than 1 radian.

Yes, we can show the relationship between the incident angle i and refracted angle r as a straight line. This is because the equation sin i = 1.5 sin r follows the general form of a straight line equation, y = mx + c, where y = sin i, m = 1.5 and x = sin r. Therefore, we can rearrange the equation to get sin r = (1/1.5)sin i or r = (1/1.5)i + c, where c is a constant. This means that as the incident angle i increases, the refracted angle r will also increase at a constant rate of 1/1.5.

The data provided also supports this relationship, as the values of r increase in a linear manner as i increases. This is in accordance with Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the incident and refracted angles is constant for a given pair of media.

In conclusion, the relationship between the incident angle and refracted angle at the air-glass interface can be represented as a straight line with a slope of 1/1.5 and a y-intercept of c. This is a useful way to visualize and understand the behavior of light at this interface.

1. How does the angle of incidence affect the angle of refraction at the air-glass interface?

The angle of incidence is the angle at which a ray of light hits the interface between air and glass. According to Snell's Law, the angle of refraction is determined by the angle of incidence and the refractive indices of the two media. As the angle of incidence increases, the angle of refraction also increases, causing the ray to bend more as it passes through the interface.

2. What is the refractive index of air and glass?

The refractive index is a measure of how much a material can bend light. The refractive index of air is very close to 1, while the refractive index of glass is typically between 1.4 and 1.6, depending on the type of glass. This means that light travels faster through air than it does through glass.

3. Why does a ray of light bend when it passes from air to glass?

When a ray of light travels from one medium to another, it changes speed and direction due to the change in refractive index. This bending of light is known as refraction. In the case of air and glass, the refractive index of glass is higher than that of air, causing the ray to bend towards the normal (an imaginary line perpendicular to the interface) as it enters the glass.

4. How does the thickness of the glass affect the path of the ray of light?

The thickness of the glass does not affect the path of the ray of light at the interface between air and glass. As long as the angle of incidence remains the same, the angle of refraction and the direction of the ray will also remain the same. However, if the ray passes through the glass and then enters another medium, such as water, the thickness of the glass will affect the angle of refraction at the second interface.

5. Can the angle of incidence ever be greater than the angle of refraction at the air-glass interface?

No, according to Snell's Law, the angle of incidence can never be greater than the angle of refraction at the air-glass interface. This is because the refractive index of glass is always greater than the refractive index of air, so the angle of refraction must always be less than the angle of incidence. If the angle of incidence were to approach 90 degrees, the angle of refraction would approach 0 degrees, meaning the ray would travel along the interface without bending.