1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant radial and angular velocity; find magnitude of acceleration.

1. Sep 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) A particle moves in a plane with constant radial velocity [(r)\dot] and constant angular velocity [θ\dot]. When the particle is at distance r from the origin, determine the speed of the particle.
    Data: [(r)\dot] = 3.2 m/s; [θ\dot] = 2.3 rad/s; r = 3.2 m.

(b) When the particle is at distance r from the origin, determine the magnitude of the acceleration.

2. Relevant equations
    a=v^2/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    This question was posted on these forums before which I found using the search function. The answer to part (a) was derived after the help from that thread. The result is 8.026 m/s.

I am not sure about part (b), however. In my search I have found many suggesting that a=v^2/r. Why is this the case? Also, I haven't been able to get that to work.

What I tried is this:

Find the circumference of the circle with radius 3.2m which is 20.1062 m. Find the period of the particle which is 2*pi/2.3 which is 2.73182 seconds. Using that I was thinking I could find the angular velocity in m/s which I calculated to be 7.447 m/s. If I use that in the equation a=v^2/r I get a=7.447^2/3.2=16.93 m/s^2 which is incorrect.

What am I missing? Also, where does a=v^2/r come from? Thanks in advance for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is a problem that apparently assumes that you are familiar with expressing velocity and acceleration in polar coordinates. See for example this link.

The expression ##v^2/r## is the formula for "centripetal acceleration" for a particle moving on a circle. But, in your problem the particle is not moving on a circle. In your problem the particle will have two components of acceleration (radial and tangential) as shown near the bottom of the page in the link above.

Your calculation of 16.93 m/s2 does in fact happen to give the correct answer for the magnitude of the radial component of acceleration for this problem. (It would not give the correct radial acceleration if ##\ddot{r} \neq 0##.) To find the total acceleration, you will also need to find the tangential component of acceleration.

4. Sep 13, 2013 #3
    Thank you for your help TSny.

I am confused about how to find r, r(dot), etc. As you suggest it is not moving in a circle but since the radial and angular velocity are constant it is hard for me to imagine the radius changing. I might just be tired but I can't even seem to remember what r dot and theta dot are. I was under the impression that these were just derivatives but I thought r was constant so the derivative would be 0?

I have no idea how to find the tangential component of acceleration. The link you provided suggests a formula in two parts for acceleration; one is radial and the other tangential. As you noted I have solved for the radial portion but can't seem to figure out how to solve the other portion. If I understood how to find rdot and theta dot I would probably be better suited to take the next step.

Is it really just: 2*3.2*2.3+3.2*0=14.72 for the tangential portion of acceleration? i.e. 2*r(dot)*theta(dot)+r*theta'

EDIT: Apparently that worked. If you take the above value of 14.72 and find the hypotenuse formed with the other component of acceleration you get 22.43 m/s^2 which is correct.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  5. Sep 13, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, ##\dot{r}## and ##\dot{\theta}## are just the time derivatives of ##r## and ##\theta##. As ##\theta## increases, so does ##r##. The particle is moving along a spiral of Archimedes

That's it. Good work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted