Constant slope acceleration problem

In summary, the problem is about a ball rolling up a constant slope with an initial velocity of 11.0 m/s and then rolling down with a velocity of 7.3 m/s after 9.3 seconds. The question is asking for the acceleration of the ball on the slope. The solution involves using the equation a=(vf-vi)/t, taking into account the direction of velocity. Applying this equation, the acceleration of the ball is calculated to be -1.96 m/s^2, which is close to the given answer of -2.0 m/s^2.
shuvit760
I got this problem:

A ball is rolled up a constant slope with an initial velocity of 11.0 m/s and after 9.3 s the ball is rolling down the slope with a velocity of 7.3 m/s. What is the acceleration of the ball on the slope.

Here's what I tried: I divided the problem in 2 for the ball going up, and the ball going down.

1st Givens: Vi: 11 m/s Vf: 0 t:9.3
2nd Givens: Vi: 7.3 m/s Vf :0

I then got the displacement of half of the slope from the first set of givens, which gave me 51.15. That's where I got stuck. I tried getting a acceleration for both sides of the slope and then averaging, but that wasn't right.

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]a=\frac{{\Delta}v}{t} \implies a=\frac{v_f-v_i}{t}[/tex]

**hint** velocity has direction, so when the ball is rolling down the slope, it has a negative velocity.

Ah yes, but there is still a problem. This is what changes then:
2nd Givens: Vi: -7.3 m/s D:-51.15 Vf: 0(I'm not sure if this is right)
So I can get a time for when it's going down of 14 sec.
So I added the inicial velocities of the ball going up and going down and then divided it by 23.3(9.3 sec + 14 sec). But it gave a large decimal.

The teacher gave us the answer of -2.0 m/s^2.

Damn, I'm still stuck. Please advise.

The problem tells you that it starts at 11m/s, and 9.3s later it is going down at -7.3 m/s. just plug this information into the equation:

[tex]a=\frac{-7.3m/s-11m/s}{9.3s}=\frac{-18.3}{9.3}=-1.96m/{s^2}[/tex]

Wow, I just complicating myself with all my equations. Thank you so much for your help

1. What is a constant slope acceleration problem?

A constant slope acceleration problem is a type of physics problem that involves an object moving at a constant acceleration along a straight line with a constant slope. This means that the object's velocity is changing at a constant rate, resulting in a linear increase or decrease in its speed over time.

2. How is a constant slope acceleration problem different from other types of acceleration problems?

Constant slope acceleration problems are unique in that the slope of the line on a velocity-time graph is constant, indicating a constant acceleration. Other types of acceleration problems may involve changing or varying accelerations, resulting in different shapes on a velocity-time graph.

3. What are some real-life examples of constant slope acceleration problems?

One common example of a constant slope acceleration problem is an object rolling down a ramp with a constant incline. The object's acceleration will be constant throughout its descent. Another example is a car accelerating at a constant rate on a straight road.

4. How do you solve a constant slope acceleration problem?

To solve a constant slope acceleration problem, you can use the basic kinematic equations of motion, which relate an object's displacement, initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, and time. You can also use a velocity-time graph to visualize and analyze the motion of the object.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a constant slope acceleration problem?

One common mistake when solving a constant slope acceleration problem is using the wrong kinematic equation for the given scenario. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem to determine which equation to use. Additionally, it is important to pay attention to units and ensure they are consistent throughout the calculations.