1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant slope acceleration problem

1. Sep 29, 2005 #1
    I got this problem:

A ball is rolled up a constant slope with an initial velocity of 11.0 m/s and after 9.3 s the ball is rolling down the slope with a velocity of 7.3 m/s. What is the acceleration of the ball on the slope.

Here's what I tried: I divided the problem in 2 for the ball going up, and the ball going down.

1st Givens: Vi: 11 m/s Vf: 0 t:9.3
    2nd Givens: Vi: 7.3 m/s Vf :0

I then got the displacement of half of the slope from the first set of givens, which gave me 51.15. That's where I got stuck. I tried getting a acceleration for both sides of the slope and then averaging, but that wasn't right.

Please help
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2005 #2

Gold Member

[tex]a=\frac{{\Delta}v}{t} \implies a=\frac{v_f-v_i}{t}[/tex]

**hint** velocity has direction, so when the ball is rolling down the slope, it has a negative velocity.

4. Sep 29, 2005 #3
    Ah yes, but there is still a problem. This is what changes then:
    2nd Givens: Vi: -7.3 m/s D:-51.15 Vf: 0(I'm not sure if this is right)
    So I can get a time for when it's going down of 14 sec.
    So I added the inicial velocities of the ball going up and going down and then divided it by 23.3(9.3 sec + 14 sec). But it gave a large decimal.

The teacher gave us the answer of -2.0 m/s^2.

Damn, I'm still stuck. Please advise.
  5. Sep 29, 2005 #4

Gold Member

The problem tells you that it starts at 11m/s, and 9.3s later it is going down at -7.3 m/s. just plug this information in to the equation:

6. Sep 29, 2005 #5
    Wow, I just complicating myself with all my equations. Thank you so much for your help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?