Constant Solutions of Real Scalar Field

In summary, a self interacting real scalar field has an equation of motion with a quadratic term and two additional terms that depend on the values of ##A##, ##B##, and ##m##. Constant solutions for the field are possible, with the zero solution being trivial. The nonzero constant solutions have physical significance, but the system's energy must be bounded from below and higher order interaction terms may make the system non-renormalizable. The constant solutions may also be unstable, with the physical vacuum state corresponding to a nonzero constant solution. The potential for the field has a false vacuum at ##\phi = 0## for positive ##B## and large enough ##A##.
hilbert2
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Suppose I have a self interacting real scalar field ##\phi## with equation of motion

##\partial^i \partial_i \phi + m^2 \phi = -A \phi^2 - B\phi^3##,

and I attempt to find constant solutions ##\phi (x,t) = C## for it. The trivial solution is the zero solution ##\phi (x,t) = 0##, but there can also be two more constant solutions depending on the values of ##A##, ##B## and ##m##. Obviously ##B## needs to be positive for the system's energy to be bounded from below, but ##A## seems to be arbitrary. Higher order interaction terms would probably make this non-renormalizable.

Do the two nonzero constant solutions have any physical significance? Does this equation allow situations where the static solutions are unstable, becoming something else very quickly if perturbed even a little?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does it matter that the operators ##\phi(\mathbf{x},t)=C## don't go to zero as ##\mathbf{x} \rightarrow \infty##? I know that's a requirement for wavefunctions in QM, but I'm not sure what the constraints on the operators in QFT are.

I'm interpreting the field as a classical field here, similar to an air pressure field or an electromagnetic vector potential. I don't think this kind of fields have to be normalizable.

1. The quadratic term on the right just changes the mass, and of course $m^2+A$ must be nonnegative for a physical theory.

2. Without an additional $\phi^4$ term, the action is classically unbounded, hence one wouldn't expect a meaningful quantum solution.

3. With the additional $\phi^4$ term, the zero solution may be unstable. Then the physical vacuum state is (in the classical limit) in a global minimizer of the action, corresponding to a nonzero constant solution. This is just a slightly generaized version of the familiar process of mass generation through broken symmetry.

A. Neumaier, you are misreading the equation. The terms on the right come from cubic and quartic terms in the potential.

The complete potential is ##V(\phi)=\frac12 m^2 \phi^2 + \frac13 A \phi^3 + \frac14 B\phi^4##. This potential has a local minimum at ##\phi=0##, but for positive ##B## and large enough ##A##, another minimum at a lower energy, with a maximum in between. For parameters in this range, the minimum at ##\phi=0## is a "false vacuum" in QFT.

Avodyne said:
A. Neumaier, you are misreading the equation. The terms on the right come from cubic and quartic terms in the potential.
Oh, sorry, yes, of course. I was thinking of the right hand side in terms of the potential - was too tired yesterday, after a day of travel...

Avodyne said:
This potential has a local minimum at ϕ=0
In general only a stationary point. If ##A## is large enough then this stationary point is an unstable local maximizer.

What is a constant solution of real scalar field?

A constant solution of real scalar field is a solution to a differential equation in which the field remains constant at all points in space and time. This means that the field does not change in value or direction, and the differential equation is satisfied for all values of the field.

How is a constant solution of real scalar field different from a non-constant solution?

A non-constant solution of real scalar field is a solution in which the field varies in value or direction at different points in space and time. This means that the differential equation is only satisfied for certain values of the field, and the field may change over time. In contrast, a constant solution remains the same at all points in space and time.

What are some examples of constant solutions of real scalar field?

One example of a constant solution of real scalar field is a static electric field, where the electric field strength remains constant at all points in space. Another example is a uniform gravitational field, where the gravitational force remains constant at all points in space. Constant solutions can also occur in other physical systems such as heat conduction, fluid flow, and diffusion.

Why are constant solutions of real scalar field important in physics?

Constant solutions of real scalar field are important in physics because they represent equilibrium states in physical systems. These solutions can help us understand the behavior and properties of the system under specific conditions, and they serve as important reference points for comparison with non-constant solutions. Additionally, many fundamental laws and principles in physics, such as conservation of energy and momentum, are based on the existence of constant solutions.

How can constant solutions of real scalar field be found or determined in a given system?

The process of finding or determining constant solutions of real scalar field involves solving the differential equation that describes the system. This can be done analytically or numerically, depending on the complexity of the system. Additionally, physical observations and experiments can also help identify constant solutions in a given system.