Constant string length question with pulleys

In summary, the correct convention for this problem is to define the direction of positive axes for both displacement (rope length) and kinematic equations to match, and to use the equation with the negative Xc in the rope length equation.
ual8658

Homework Statement

Given Ma = Mb =Mc and muk between c and the surface is 0.30
upload_2017-1-18_17-38-7.png

Homework Equations

(rope length) = constant
Maaa = Mag - T
Mbab = Mbg - 2T
Mcac = T - (mu)Mcg

The Attempt at a Solution

The equations I came up on my own and the answer key did as well. The problem is I also need an equation relating the length of the rope as constant. My convention is to measure the length of the rope in the direction of positive motion as defined by my equations.

In this case I make the assumption mass A and mass B accelerate down (the answer later gives B as negative indicating it goes up) and made that the positive direction. I also made going to the left positive for mass C.

The problem is when I go to write the rope length equation I get
Xa + 2 Xb + (X - Xc) = constant

and obviously differentiate to get the acceleration equation. I measured X as the distance from the right side to the pulley nearest C and thus X - Xc is the rope length between that pulley and C. This is so that I measure positive distances in the direction of positive acceleration.

The answer key simply lists the equation as
Xa + 2 Xb + Xc) = constant

with all other equations I gave as true.

Where am I picturing this wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The picture defines ##x_C## as increasing when the mass moves to the right. Of course, if you define things different from the problem you will get different results.

ual8658 said:
I measured X as the distance from the right side
How do you mean? Some arbitrary point fixed at the right side? But the string doesn't go there. It goes from the pulley to C, a distance XC.
ual8658 said:
My convention is to measure the length of the rope in the direction of positive motion
A length does not have a direction. A displacement has direction. X-XC can be a displacement of C, but that does not make it a component of the string length.
Take a very simple model, two blocks connected by one straight string, moving to the left at the same speed. Their displacements are in the same direction, so the sum will not be constant.

Orodruin said:
The picture defines ##x_C## as increasing when the mass moves to the right. Of course, if you define things different from the problem you will get different results.

Indeed it turns out the professor's answer was wrong. But thank you!

haruspex said:
How do you mean? Some arbitrary point fixed at the right side? But the string doesn't go there. It goes from the pulley to C, a distance XC.

A length does not have a direction. A displacement has direction. X-XC can be a displacement of C, but that does not make it a component of the string length.
Take a very simple model, two blocks connected by one straight string, moving to the left at the same speed. Their displacements are in the same direction, so the sum will not be constant.

I think I was trying to get at displacement.

ual8658 said:
Indeed it turns out the professor's answer was wrong. But thank you!
Would you mind elaborating. What you posted from the solution seemed correct.

Orodruin said:
Would you mind elaborating. What you posted from the solution seemed correct.

Of course. So if you do define the displacement to the right as positive, then tension will pull in the negative direction and friction works in the positive direction. Acceleration then must be assumed positive to the right. In my relevant equations, tension is assumed positive to the left despite direction being define positive to the right. The direction of positive axes for both the displacement (rope length) and the kinematic equations must match. The way I did it in my explanation is correct so long as the rope length equation is NOT

Xa + 2Xb + Xc = constant

but rather the one with the negative Xc.

1. How does a constant string length question with pulleys work?

A constant string length question with pulleys involves a system of pulleys and strings where the length of the string remains the same throughout the system. This means that when one end of the string is pulled, the other end will move the same distance in the opposite direction. This principle is based on the conservation of energy and is commonly used in physics problems.

2. What is the purpose of using pulleys in a constant string length question?

The purpose of using pulleys in a constant string length question is to change the direction of the force applied to the string. By using multiple pulleys, the force can be redirected in different directions, allowing for easier manipulation and calculation of the forces involved in the system.

3. How do you calculate the tension in a string in a constant string length question with pulleys?

In order to calculate the tension in a string in a constant string length question with pulleys, you will need to use the principle of conservation of energy and the equation T1 = T2, where T1 and T2 represent the tension in the string on either side of the pulley. This equation assumes that the string has negligible mass and does not stretch.

4. Can the number of pulleys in a system affect the tension in the string?

Yes, the number of pulleys in a system can affect the tension in the string. The more pulleys that are used, the more the force is redirected and distributed among the different segments of the string, resulting in a decrease in tension. This is why using multiple pulleys can make it easier to manipulate the forces involved in a constant string length question.

5. What are some real-world applications of a constant string length question with pulleys?

Constant string length questions with pulleys have numerous real-world applications. They are commonly used in engineering and construction for lifting heavy objects, in exercise equipment such as weight machines, and in the design of simple machines like cranes and elevators. They are also used in physics experiments to demonstrate the principles of mechanical advantage and conservation of energy.