Constervation of Mechanical Energy Problem

In summary: Therefore, you must consider work as part of mechanical energy. In summary, a softball pitcher rotating a .265 kg ball around a vertical circular path of radius .568 m exerts a 24.7 N force parallel to the motion of the ball. The ball's speed at the top of the circle is 14.3 m/s. Using the equation Kf+Uf=Ki+Ui, where K=1/2 mv^2 and U=mgy, the final kinetic energy can be found by adding the initial kinetic energy, potential energy, and work done by the force. The work done by the force can be calculated using the formula pi*radius*force. Therefore, the final kinetic energy is equal to the sum of
lgmavs41
Hi. I really need some help with this problem. I'm a little lost and my head seems ready to explode. Any hints will be appreciated.

Homework Statement

A softball pitcher rotates a .265 kg ball around a vertical circular path of radius .568 m before releasing it. The pitcher exerts 24.7 N force directed parallel to the motion of the ball around the complete circular path. The speed of the ball at the top of the circle is 14.3 m/s. If the ball is released at the bottom of the circle, what is its speed upon release?

Homework Equations

hmm. I know Kf+Uf=Ki+Ui will be used somewhere and some form of kinematic equations might be necessary. K=1/2 mv^2 and U=mgy.

The Attempt at a Solution

well, i tried W=F*r where r is the circumference of the circle and Force is 24.7 N and set it equal to Kf-Ki to find the final velocity. Answer was wrong. I just don't know where to plug in the acceleration of gravity...(force directed downward..etc.).

Physics news on Phys.org
lgmavs41 said:
Hi. I really need some help with this problem. I'm a little lost and my head seems ready to explode. Any hints will be appreciated.

Homework Statement

A softball pitcher rotates a .265 kg ball around a vertical circular path of radius .568 m before releasing it. The pitcher exerts 24.7 N force directed parallel to the motion of the ball around the complete circular path. The speed of the ball at the top of the circle is 14.3 m/s. If the ball is released at the bottom of the circle, what is its speed upon release?

Homework Equations

hmm. I know Kf+Uf=Ki+Ui will be used somewhere and some form of kinematic equations might be necessary. K=1/2 mv^2 and U=mgy.

The Attempt at a Solution

well, i tried W=F*r where r is the circumference of the circle and Force is 24.7 N and set it equal to Kf-Ki to find the final velocity. Answer was wrong. I just don't know where to plug in the acceleration of gravity...(force directed downward..etc.).
In calculating work, you have used the circle circumference, but you should be using just half its circumference since you are considering work from the given initial (top of circle) position to the final(bot of circle) position. Now first you must correct your 'relevant equation' to include this work term, then solve. Using this method, the acceleration of gravity is considered in the potential energy term. You can't just set the applied work of the force equal to Kf-Ki.

well, this is what i got...please comment if everything looks right..
w=kf-ki+uf-ui , uf=0
where ki = 1/2mv^2, ui = mg(2 times the radius for height), work=(2pi)(radius)(Force)

so kf=ki+ui+work...

*correction: so work = pi*radius*force...thanks

lgmavs41 said:
*correction: so work = pi*radius*force...thanks
yes, that all looks good.

phew, thanks for the help. really appreciate it.

lgmavs41 said:
phew, thanks for the help. really appreciate it.
You're welcome. Also note that mechanical energy(sum total of kinetic and potential energy) is NOT conserved when you have applied forces or friction forces acting. In this case, mechanical energy is gained due to the work done by the applied force.

Related to Constervation of Mechanical Energy Problem

1. What is the law of conservation of mechanical energy?

The law of conservation of mechanical energy states that the total energy of a closed system remains constant over time, as long as there is no external work or non-conservative forces acting on the system.

2. How is mechanical energy defined?

Mechanical energy is defined as the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy in a system. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy stored in an object's position or configuration.

3. How is the conservation of mechanical energy applied in real-world situations?

The conservation of mechanical energy is applicable in various real-world situations, such as in a pendulum, where the potential energy at the highest point is converted into kinetic energy at the lowest point, and in roller coasters, where the potential energy at the top of a hill is converted into kinetic energy as the coaster goes down the track.

4. What are some examples of non-conservative forces that can affect the conservation of mechanical energy?

Non-conservative forces, such as friction and air resistance, can decrease the mechanical energy in a system by converting it into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. These forces are typically present in real-world situations and can cause a decrease in the overall mechanical energy of a system.

5. How can the conservation of mechanical energy be used to solve problems?

The conservation of mechanical energy can be used to solve problems by applying the equation E = KE + PE, where E is the total mechanical energy, KE is the kinetic energy, and PE is the potential energy. By setting the initial and final values for each type of energy equal to each other, the unknown values can be solved for, providing a solution to the problem.