1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constructive or destructive interference after a set number of waves?

1. Sep 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two sources, S1 and S2, send our circular waves that are in phase and of the same frequency. They have the same wavelength (0,5m) and the same amplitude. Will there be a maxima og a minima at the given points:

a) S1P = 5.00 m og S2P = 6.50 m?

b) S1P = 5.00 m og S2P = 4.75 m?

2. Relevant equations
    No equations that I can find.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried to draw the waves from two points, but it ended up as a mess. I have tried to find some equations for finding this, but I have not found any.

If someone got the time, I would prefer a explanation, and not just an answer. Thank you. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2014 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

No info on how far apart the two sources are?

4. Sep 12, 2014 #3

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know what "o g" means :-)

I am assuming they are given the distances to the two sources. Then just look at |S1P-S2P| which is the path difference and see how many wavelengths fit in those intervals. This leads to the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted