Equilibrium: Solving the Homework Puzzle

In summary: The conversation is about solving a physics problem involving equilibrium, specifically using the equations Fx = Fcos(theta) and Fy = Fsin(theta). The person asking the question has found a different answer than the one provided in the link and is asking for clarification. In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem using equilibrium equations and the discrepancy in the answers found.
depre87

Homework Statement

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090812013110AAcrnFs

Homework Equations

Equilibrium - Fx = Fcos(theta), Fy = Fsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got the answer however it's different to the one posted the link above - isolated the top pipe and used equilibrium for the forces which were - normal force at C the weight W of the pipe and the force F exerted by the 2nd pipe. By doing this I found that F and C is 1387.344N. Then isolated the bottom pipe - forces present were - normal force at B and A, W and F exerted by 1st pipe. Did equilibrium and ended up with normal force at B = 4162.031N and normal force at A to be 3924N.
Did I do something wrong or is there an issue with the answer on the link?

Physics news on Phys.org
depre87 said:

Homework Statement

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090812013110AAcrnFs

Homework Equations

Equilibrium - Fx = Fcos(theta), Fy = Fsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got the answer however it's different to the one posted the link above - isolated the top pipe and used equilibrium for the forces which were - normal force at C the weight W of the pipe and the force F exerted by the 2nd pipe. By doing this I found that F and C is 1387.344N. Then isolated the bottom pipe - forces present were - normal force at B and A, W and F exerted by 1st pipe. Did equilibrium and ended up with normal force at B = 4162.031N and normal force at A to be 3924N.
Did I do something wrong or is there an issue with the answer on the link?

Not a very successful link ?

1. What is equilibrium in the context of "Solving the Homework Puzzle"?

Equilibrium is the state at which there is a balance between the amount of homework assigned and the time and effort needed to complete it. It is when students are able to manage their workload without feeling overwhelmed or stressed.

2. How can we achieve equilibrium when it comes to homework?

To achieve equilibrium, it is important for students to prioritize their tasks and manage their time effectively. This may involve creating a schedule, breaking down large assignments into smaller tasks, and seeking help when needed. It is also important for teachers to assign a reasonable amount of homework that aligns with the curriculum and learning objectives.

3. What are the consequences of not achieving equilibrium in regards to homework?

Not achieving equilibrium can lead to negative consequences such as increased stress, burnout, and a decline in academic performance. It can also affect students' mental health and overall well-being.

4. How can parents and teachers support students in achieving equilibrium?

Parents and teachers can support students by setting realistic expectations, providing guidance and resources, and checking in regularly to ensure students are not feeling overwhelmed. They can also communicate and collaborate to ensure a balanced workload for students.

5. Can technology play a role in achieving equilibrium with homework?

Technology can be a useful tool in achieving equilibrium with homework. There are various apps and online tools that can help students organize their tasks, set reminders, and manage their time effectively. However, it is important for students to use technology in a responsible and balanced manner, and not let it become a distraction.