Solid65 convergence problems in ANSYS workbench

In summary, the individual is modeling the debonding between concrete and CFRP under tangential loading using ANSYS Workbench with CZM/VCCT techniques. They have some questions regarding the element type, convergence issues, and CZM materials. It is generally suitable to use solid65 element for concrete in this case, but further investigation is needed. The convergence issue may be related to the cracking feature and it is important to check element quality and meshing techniques. Dropping mid-side nodes for solid185 may result in similar behavior as solid65, but there may still be some differences. CZM materials do not need to be inserted as a command if they are already defined in the engineering data. Other suggestions include checking element type and properties
Ahmed Mirghani
Hi everyone,,

I am modeling the debonding between concrete and CFRP subjected to tangential loading (Mode II) using ANSYS Workbench, I used (CZM/VCCT) techniques to model the debonding. as you know with workbench you can't choose the element type directly. you have to insert commands for Solid65. or use the default solid185.

I have the following quires

1\ For pure tangential force applied on the plate. is it suitable to use solid65 element for concrete in this case. bearing in mind that in some failure modes in experimental there is a lump concrete attached to the plate after separation (Failure). and in others the concrete is intact (just debonding failure).
2\ I tried different element types, but when I use the SOLID 65 command, my model lose convergence too early. If I remove cracking and crushing capability (Suppress the command), the solution runs fine without any convergence problems. (is this due to cracking feature associated with solid65). how can I get the model to converge.
3\ In meshing,If the mid-side nodes are set to "dropped" for the default solid185 (20 nodes), will I get similar behavior as solid65 (8 nodes) (3 DOF/node for both).
4\ I already defined 2 CZM materials in the engineering data for both (Contact debonding & interface delamination). Do I need to insert a command for the "contact" for the Contact debonding or the interface delamination in the model tree.
I already tried the following to get my model to converge for solid65 in workbench:
1- Refining the mesh.
2- Reducing the normal stiffness of the contact region
3- Use Newton Raphson residuals.
4- Playing with steps and sub-steps (applying displacement in small intervals).

Any help or suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your work and questions with us. I am a scientist with experience in modeling and simulation, and I would be happy to provide some insights and suggestions for your queries.

1. For pure tangential force applied on the plate, it is generally suitable to use solid65 element for concrete. However, it is important to consider the specific properties and behaviors of your concrete material and how it may respond to tangential loading. If your experimental results show that there is a lump concrete attached to the plate after separation, it may indicate a different failure mode that could potentially be captured with a different element type. I would recommend further investigation and comparison with experimental data to determine the best element type for your specific case.

2. The convergence issue you are experiencing may indeed be related to the cracking feature associated with solid65. I would suggest exploring the convergence options in ANSYS Workbench, such as adjusting the convergence criteria or using different solution methods. Additionally, it may be helpful to check the element quality and meshing techniques to ensure that there are no issues that could be causing the convergence problem.

3. Dropping the mid-side nodes for solid185 may result in a similar behavior as solid65, but it is important to note that there may still be some differences due to the different element formulations. I would suggest comparing the results from both element types to determine if they are comparable and if one is more suitable for your specific case.

4. If you have already defined the CZM materials in the engineering data, you do not need to insert a command for contact in the model tree. However, it may be helpful to check the contact settings and adjust them accordingly to ensure that the CZM materials are properly incorporated in the simulation.

In addition to the steps you have already tried, I would also recommend checking the element type and properties, as well as the boundary and loading conditions, to ensure that they are accurately representing your experimental setup. It may also be helpful to consult with other researchers or experts in the field for further insights and recommendations.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best with your modeling. Good luck!

1. What is Solid65 element in ANSYS Workbench and why is it commonly associated with convergence problems?

The Solid65 element is a 3D solid element used for structural analysis in ANSYS Workbench. It is commonly associated with convergence problems because it is a higher order element, meaning it has more degrees of freedom compared to other elements. This can lead to slower convergence and potentially cause issues with model stability.

2. How can I determine if my simulation is experiencing convergence problems related to Solid65 element?

You can check for convergence problems related to Solid65 element by analyzing the convergence plot in ANSYS Workbench. If the solution is not converging, it may indicate issues with the Solid65 element. Additionally, you can also check the status of the element in the solver log file.

3. What are some common causes of Solid65 convergence problems?

Some common causes of Solid65 convergence problems include improper meshing, incorrect boundary conditions, and material modeling issues. It is also possible that the element may be too distorted or not suitable for the specific type of analysis being performed.

4. How can I improve convergence with Solid65 element in ANSYS Workbench?

To improve convergence with Solid65 element, you can try refining the mesh, adjusting the element size, and reducing the element order. It may also help to review and adjust the boundary conditions and material properties. Additionally, switching to a different element type may also improve convergence.

5. Are there any limitations or considerations to keep in mind when using Solid65 element in ANSYS Workbench?

Yes, there are several limitations of Solid65 element that should be considered. It is not recommended for large deformation analysis, and it may not be suitable for all types of structural analysis. It is also important to properly mesh the model and ensure appropriate boundary conditions and material properties are applied for accurate results.