Continuity of piecewise defined trig functions

In summary, the homework equations are f(x)=xcos(1/x) if x≠0 and 0 if x = 0, and g(x)=cos(1/x) if x≠0 and 0 if x = 0. These functions are continuous at every other point in [-1,1], except at x=0 where g(x) is not continuous.
k3k3

Homework Statement

Define functions f and g on [-1,1] by

f(x) = xcos(1/x) if x≠0 and 0 if x = 0

g(x)= cos(1/x) if x≠0 and 0 if x = 0

(These are piecewise defined. I don't know how to type them in here.)

Prove that f is continuous at 0 and that g is not continuous at 0. Explain why these functions are continuous at every other point in [-1,1].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the definition of continuity,

Suppose g is continuous at x=0.

Since g is continuous for all x in [-1,1], then for all ε>0, there exists a δ > 0 such that |g(x)-g(c)| < ε for all x in [-1,1] that satisfy |x-c| < δ

Let ε=1/2
Let c = 0
Choose δ=ε

Then |g(x)-g(c)| = |cos(1/x)| and since -1 ≤ cos(1/x) ≤ 1 for all x in [-1,1], then |cos(1/x)|≤|2x|<2δ=2/2=1

Then if x=3/[itex]\pi[/itex], |cos(1/x)| = |1/2| < 1/2 which 1/2 cannot be less than itself. So there exists a ε where the continuity definition fails at c=0 and thus g(x) is not continuous on [-1,1].

Is this correct for showing g(x) is not continuous at x=0?

I am unsure how to show f(x) is continuous at x=0 since it is a product of two functions where one of them is not continuous at 0.

I have a theorem that will help me with showing that trig functions are continuous if they are defined on their domain.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't understand your argument for proving that g is not continuous at 0. I don't think it's right. Can you show that in any neighborhood around x = 0, g(x) takes on the values +1 and -1 for infinitely many x? Can you use that fact to show that g is not continuous at 0?

To show that f is continuous at 0, try sandwiching it between two continuous functions which both have the same value at x = 0.

Are you really required to do an "epsilon-delta" proof? It is relatively straight forward to find the limits of both f and g (or show they don't exist) as x goes to 0.

Jbunnlll, if I understand what you are saying, I was trying to use that fact to make a contradiction using the definition of continuity.

Hallsofivy, we aren't required to use the epsilon-delta definiton. It should work for any case, so I was really testing my knowledge on the definiton. I will try your suggestion. Sounds a lot easier!

1. What is the definition of continuity for piecewise defined trig functions?

The continuity of a function refers to the property where the value of the function at a point is equal to the limit of the function as the input approaches that point. For piecewise defined trig functions, this means that the function must have a continuous output for all values of the input, including at the points where the function is defined by different equations.

2. How do you determine if a piecewise defined trig function is continuous at a specific point?

To determine if a piecewise defined trig function is continuous at a point, you must check if the function values from both sides of the point approach the same value. This can be done by evaluating the limit of the function as the input approaches the point from the left and from the right. If both limits are equal, then the function is continuous at that point.

3. Can a piecewise defined trig function be continuous everywhere?

Yes, a piecewise defined trig function can be continuous everywhere if all of its individual equations are continuous and the point of transition between equations is also continuous. This means that the function has a smooth and unbroken graph without any sharp turns or breaks.

4. What happens if a piecewise defined trig function is not continuous at a specific point?

If a piecewise defined trig function is not continuous at a specific point, it means that there is a discontinuity at that point. This can occur if the function has a jump, a hole, or an asymptote at that point. In this case, the limit of the function as the input approaches the point from both sides will not be equal.

5. How do continuity and differentiability relate for piecewise defined trig functions?

A function must be continuous at a point for it to be differentiable at that point. This means that if a piecewise defined trig function is not continuous at a specific point, it is also not differentiable at that point. However, a function can be continuous at a point but not differentiable, as in the case of a corner or cusp at that point.