• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Continuity of piecewise defined trig functions

• Thread starter k3k3
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Define functions f and g on [-1,1] by

f(x) = xcos(1/x) if x≠0 and 0 if x = 0

g(x)= cos(1/x) if x≠0 and 0 if x = 0

(These are piecewise defined. I don't know how to type them in here.)

Prove that f is continuous at 0 and that g is not continuous at 0. Explain why these functions are continuous at every other point in [-1,1].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the definition of continuity,

Suppose g is continuous at x=0.

Since g is continuous for all x in [-1,1], then for all ε>0, there exists a δ > 0 such that |g(x)-g(c)| < ε for all x in [-1,1] that satisfy |x-c| < δ

Let ε=1/2
Let c = 0
Choose δ=ε

Then |g(x)-g(c)| = |cos(1/x)| and since -1 ≤ cos(1/x) ≤ 1 for all x in [-1,1], then |cos(1/x)|≤|2x|<2δ=2/2=1

Then if x=3/[itex]\pi[/itex], |cos(1/x)| = |1/2| < 1/2 which 1/2 cannot be less than itself. So there exists a ε where the continuity definition fails at c=0 and thus g(x) is not continuous on [-1,1].

Is this correct for showing g(x) is not continuous at x=0?

I am unsure how to show f(x) is continuous at x=0 since it is a product of two functions where one of them is not continuous at 0.

I have a theorem that will help me with showing that trig functions are continuous if they are defined on their domain.

Answers and Replies

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I didn't understand your argument for proving that g is not continuous at 0. I don't think it's right. Can you show that in any neighborhood around x = 0, g(x) takes on the values +1 and -1 for infinitely many x? Can you use that fact to show that g is not continuous at 0?

To show that f is continuous at 0, try sandwiching it between two continuous functions which both have the same value at x = 0.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Are you really required to do an "epsilon-delta" proof? It is relatively straight forward to find the limits of both f and g (or show they don't exist) as x goes to 0.

Jbunnlll, if I understand what you are saying, I was trying to use that fact to make a contradiction using the definition of continuity.

Hallsofivy, we aren't required to use the epsilon-delta definiton. It should work for any case, so I was really testing my knowledge on the definiton. I will try your suggestion. Sounds a lot easier!