1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity (real analysis)

1. Mar 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

f(x) = 4 for x > or = 0, f(x) = 0 for x < 0, and g(x) = x^2 for all x.
    Thus dom(f) = dom(g) = R.

2. Relevant equations

a. Determine the following functions: f+g, fg, f o g, g o f. Be sure to specify thier domain.

b. Which of the functions f, g, f+g, fg, f o g, g o f is continuous

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so for part (a) I am at f o g step, which I say is f(x^2) = 4 for x > or = 0 and f(x^2) = 0 for x < 0.

Question 1. Since f is a function of g(x), then when I restrict it values, do I have to restrict them in terms of x (as given) or in terms of x^2, since it is a f of g(x) now? Would I have to say that f(x^2) = 4 for x^2 > or = 0 and f(x^2) = 0 for x^2 < 0, instead of how I provided above? If I do have to say it in terms of x^2, then x^2 < 0 makes no sense, and the f would not be defined as f(g(x)) < 0?

Question 2. Since the composition f o g from Q1 is not piecewise anymore and starts at 0 and goes to positive infinity, would it make the composition continuous function?

Question 3. I am a little confused on how to prove that f is not a continuous function using limits. Would someone be able to show me a quick example please?

Question 4. If f is not continuous, then I assume that f, g, f+g, fg are not continuous either. But if f o g IS continuous (Q3), then wouldnt it contradict a Theorem that states "If f is continuous at x0 and g is continuous at f(x0), then the composite functions g o f is continuous at x0"?

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did you check that at all? Suppose x= -1. What you have written says that f(1)= 0. Any any case, what you have given looks like a definition of f. You want to write f o g(x)= something. In this case, that is particularly easy, because g(x) is never negative: f o g(x)= f(g(x))= f(x^2)= 4 for all x. Now, if x[itex]\ge[/itex]0, what is g o f(x)= g(f(x))? If x< 0, what is g o f(x)?

No, f is not a function of g(x)! f is defined as a function of x. And, in fact, so are f o g and g o f. But don't confuse those.

No, "it", if you mean f itself, is not "f of g(x)".

There is NO f(x^2), only f(x). Again, don't confuse f o g with f. In fact, f o g(x)= 4 for all x.

f o g is (piecewise) continuous and does NOT "start at 0 and go to positive infinity". f o g is the constant function f o g(x)= 4. That's trivially continuous.

Suppose f(x)= 1 if x< 0, 2 if x[itex]\ge[/itex]0. Then [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0^-}f(x)= 1[/itex] while [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0^+}f(x)= 2[/itex]. Since those are not the same, [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} f(x)[/itex] does not exist so we do not have [itex]lim_{x\rightarrow 0} f(x)= f(0)[/itex]. f(x) is not continuous at x= 0.

I recommend you not assume that!
    No, the theorem says what happens what happens if f and g are continuous- it says nothing about what can happen if either is not continuous.

4. Mar 27, 2008 #3
    so for g o f(x) do we have g(f(x))=
    g(4)=x^2 for x > or = 0 and g(0)=x^2 for x < 0 ?

And dom(g o f) = {0, 4}?

The graph would be only two points?

5. Mar 28, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Does g(4)= x^2 and g(0)= x^2 make any sense at all? g(4) is a NUMBER, not a variable. You were told that g(x)= x2 so g(4)= 42= 16.

For any x, g o f(x) means g(f(x)). Now your definition of f says that "f(x) = 4 for x > or = 0, f(x) = 0 for x < 0" so that if x>= 0, g(f(x))= g(4)= 42= 16. If x< 0, f(x)= 0 so g(f(x))= g(0)= 02= 0.

g o f(x)= 16 if x>= 0, 0 if x< 0. It's domain is all real numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?