1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous functions, confusion with notation.

1. Oct 21, 2005 #1
    My question reads:

Let [itex]f[/itex] be defined and continuous on the interval [itex]D_1 = (0, 1)[/itex],

and [itex]g[/itex] be defined and continuous on the interval [itex]D_2 = (1, 2)[/itex].

Define [itex]F(x)[/itex] on the set [itex]D=D_1 \cup D_2 =(0, 2) \backslash \{1\}[/itex] by the formula:

[tex]F(x)=f(x)[/tex], [tex]x\in (0, 1)[/tex]

[tex]F(x)=g(x)[/tex], [tex]x\in (1, 2)[/tex]

Is [itex]F[/itex] continuous or discontinuous?

My confusion is with the notation, [itex]D=D_1 \cup D_2 =(0, 2) \backslash \{1\}[/itex].

Does the [itex](0, 2) \backslash \{1\}[/itex] mean that set [itex]D[/itex] does not include the number 1?

Also, if the above is true wouldn't that mean that [itex]F[/itex] is discontinuous?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

(0,2)\{1} is indeed the set of all x such that
    0<x<2 and x!=1
    as is clear from its definition by union
    1 is in neither set so 1 is not in the union
    the function F is continuous
    This is a bit dependent on the exact definition used I presume

A function f:R->R (or some subset there of) is continuous on a set S if
    for any x in S and h>0 there exist d(h,x)>0 such that
    |f(x)-f(a)|<h for all x in S that satisfy |x-a|<d(h,x)

(using this definition a function is continuous at isolated points, ie the function f:{1,2}->{1,2} f(1)=2 f(2)=1 is continuous on {1,2} as |f(x)-1|<h for all points x such that x is in S and |x-1|<.999 as the only such value is x=1 likewise for x=2)

Thus for F(x) consider a in D
    either f of g is continuous at the point, and F is defined using f and g
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?