Solving Continuous Functions Homework: Need Help with a and b

In summary: For that example, you are given ##\epsilon##, and you have to find ##\delta##. I think you have the right idea, but you're not quite there.In summary, the problem asks the student to show that the function f(x) is nowhere continuous. The student initially considers graphing the problem, but then realizes it is a wrong approach. They then discuss the definition of continuity at a point and the concept of limits. The student struggles with understanding why f is not continuous at any point, but eventually realizes that the function is not continuous at each point in the interval. They also discuss the continuity of |f| and work through an example to demonstrate its continuity.
KF33

Homework Statement

The problem is posted below in the picture. I looked at c and d and can do those. I am unsure about a and b.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked at graphing the problems, but I think it is a wrong approach.

Attachments

• Cont..PNG
    Cont..PNG
    11.9 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
KF33 said:

Homework Statement

The problem is posted below in the picture. I looked at c and d and can do those. I am unsure about a and b.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked at graphing the problems, but I think it is a wrong approach.
Graphing a) and b) might be helpful. What is the definition of continuity at a point?

Mark44 said:
Graphing a) and b) might be helpful. What is the definition of continuity at a point?
Continuity at a point: A function f is continuous at c if the following three conditions are met.

f(C) is defined

lim as x approaches c exists.

lim as x approaches c of f(x) = f(c)

You said you were unsure about parts a and b. What are your thoughts about these problems so far?

Mark44 said:
You said you were unsure about parts a and b. What are your thoughts about these problems so far?
For "a" I was thinking it can't be continuous because the graph would be broken up and you technically could not draw the graph without picking up your pencil.

For "b" I was thinking 0, but I think it is wrong.

For a) why is |f| continuous? For b) you say, "I was thinking 0." Can you elaborate on this? Try to be as clear as can about what you mean.

In your class has the definition of the limit been given yet? By that I mean the ##\delta - \epsilon## definition?

Mark44 said:
For a) why is |f| continuous? For b) you say, "I was thinking 0." Can you elaborate on this? Try to be as clear as can about what you mean.

In your class has the definition of the limit been given yet? By that I mean the ##\delta - \epsilon## definition?

Attached is the definition about limits.

I think "a" is not continuous because the graph will be alternating between 1 and -1 and not stay at a straight line. I would have to pick up my pencil to draw the graph.

For "b" I was thinking 0, because the limit as s approaches 0, the graph approaches 0.

Attachments

• Limits.PNG
    Limits.PNG
    3.8 KB · Views: 431
KF33 said:
Attached is the definition about limits.

I think "a" is not continuous because the graph will be alternating between 1 and -1 and not stay at a straight line.
That's not what I asked about -- I asked what about |f|? Is it continuous?
Also, since you have the limit definition to work with, why isn't f continuous anywhere? Can you say this in some way more rigorous than "picking up the pencil to draw the graph"?
KF33 said:
I would have to pick up my pencil to draw the graph.

For "b" I was thinking 0, because the limit as s approaches 0, the graph approaches 0.
The problem doesn't involve s. Can you write something in more mathematical terms? I.e.,
$$\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) = ?$$
I used LaTeX to write this. In unrendered form this is $$\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) = ?$$

Mark44 said:
That's not what I asked about -- I asked what about |f|? Is it continuous?
Also, since you have the limit definition to work with, why isn't f continuous anywhere? Can you say this in some way more rigorous than "picking up the pencil to draw the graph"?

The problem doesn't involve s. Can you write something in more mathematical terms? I.e.,
$$\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) = ?$$
I used LaTeX to write this. In unrendered form this is $$\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) = ?$$
For "b" I was thinking 0, because when you look at the limit you see the following.
$$\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) = 0$$
So the function would be defined at that point.

For "a" I was thinking the absolute value function would be continuous, because I am thinking the -1 will change to positive 1.

KF33 said:
For "b" I was thinking 0, because when you look at the limit you see the following.
$$\lim_{x \to 0} f(x) = 0$$
So the function would be defined at that point.
All of the functions listed in parts a through d are defined for all real numbers, so that's not the issue. What are they asking you in this problem?
KF33 said:
For "a" I was thinking the absolute value function would be continuous, because I am thinking the -1 will change to positive 1.
The absolute value of the function, or |f|, is the one that is continuous. If you are given a value of ##\epsilon## would you be able to find a number ##\delta > 0## for which ##| |f(x)| - 0| < \epsilon## when ##|x - 0| < \delta##?

Mark44 said:
All of the functions listed in parts a through d are defined for all real numbers, so that's not the issue. What are they asking you in this problem?

They are asking me to show f(x) is nowhere continuous. Well it is nowhere continuous because it is not continuous at each point in the interval. I think I got a now. would this work?

upload_2016-6-19_13-29-30.png

Mark44 said:
The absolute value of the function, or |f|, is the one that is continuous. If you are given a value of ##\epsilon## would you be able to find a number ##\delta > 0## for which ##| |f(x)| - 0| < \epsilon## when ##|x - 0| < \delta##?

Is this an idea of what you are getting at.

##\epsilon## = 1/2
##\delta > 0## = 1/4
##| |f(1/8)| - 0| < \epsilon##
when ##|1/8 - 0| < \delta##?

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-19_13-29-55.png
    upload_2016-6-19_13-29-55.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 424
Last edited by a moderator:
KF33 said:
Is this an idea of what you are getting at.
More like the example you posted as an image, the one with the two sequences.

What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a type of mathematical function where the graph of the function does not have any breaks, holes, or jumps. This means that the values of the function can be traced without lifting the pen off the paper.

What does it mean to solve a continuous function?

Solving a continuous function means finding the value or values of the independent variable that will make the function true. This can involve finding the roots, or x-intercepts, of the function or finding the maximum or minimum values.

What does the notation "a and b" mean in the context of solving continuous functions?

In this context, "a and b" typically refer to the lower and upper bounds of an interval where the function is being evaluated. For example, if the question asks for the maximum value of a function on the interval [a,b], it means finding the highest value the function takes between values a and b.

How can I check if my solution to a continuous function problem is correct?

One way to check your solution is to graph the function and see if your solution aligns with the graph. You can also plug your solution back into the original function to see if it produces the desired output. Additionally, you can use online calculators or software to verify your solution.

What are some common strategies for solving continuous function problems?

Some common strategies for solving continuous function problems include finding the roots of the function, using the first or second derivative to find maximum or minimum points, and using the Intermediate Value Theorem to determine if a function has a root within a given interval. It is also important to understand and apply key concepts such as continuity, differentiability, and the Mean Value Theorem in solving these types of problems.