Control Engineering: Block Diagram

In summary, the arrow in the blue box can be ignored because there is no way of knowing without more context.
wantan7671
Hi guys, this is quite an inbetween question , not really homework but still theory.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/1290/81696653.jpg

Came across this diagram and was wondering if the arrow (in blue box) can be ignored ? Quite irritated by it now since I can't be sure how I should create the Transfer Function or obtain the Control Canonical Form.

Any help would be fantastic !

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
There is no way of knowing without more context. There might be some unknown gain term there... but without the problem statement for which that block diagram describes who knows.

the question is just to find the transfer function for that block diagram. I drew the blue box myself. Just wondering if it's actually valid to have a drawing like this with "loose ends"

"Just wondering if it's actually valid to have a drawing like this with "loose ends" "

Is it really a loose end? Looks to me like input to 2nd integrator stage.
in my day it would have been fine.

Were one building an analog computer that'd be a place one could hook a recorder.

I recognize that as a bear to analyze
would be lots quicker to build with opamps.

old jim

Thanks for the insight Jim. So for now, if nothing is connected there, can I assume the entire block only has U (input) and Y (output) points ? And obtain the Transfer Function directly? (or is there another technique for these sort of things?)

I think so. It was mid 1960's when i took controls course, so i am really rusty and shudder at the thought of all that algebra now.

But looking at that sketch it seems to me --

they could have drawn it as one horizontal chain
then the X2 line wouldn't have to cross X1 where X2 feeds back to sum with u, so it would look less formidable.

isn't it just two cascaded lags with output of 2nd fed back to input of first one?

i hope you'll post the transfer function.

Think it'll oscillate?

old jim

1. What is a block diagram in control engineering?

A block diagram in control engineering is a graphical representation of a system's control structure, showing the flow of signals and interactions between different components. It is used to analyze and design control systems and is an essential tool for understanding complex systems.

2. What are the components of a block diagram in control engineering?

The main components of a block diagram in control engineering are blocks, arrows, and summing points. Blocks represent the system's components or processes, arrows represent the signal flow, and summing points represent the points where signals are combined or added.

3. How is a block diagram used in control engineering?

A block diagram is used in control engineering to model, analyze, and design control systems. It helps to visualize and understand the system's behavior, identify potential issues, and make improvements to optimize the system's performance.

4. What is the difference between a block diagram and a flowchart?

A block diagram is focused on the control structure of a system, showing the flow of signals and interactions between different components. In contrast, a flowchart is a more general diagram that shows the flow of information or materials in a process. Additionally, a block diagram is often used in control engineering, while a flowchart can be used in various fields, such as computer programming or business processes.

5. How can I create a block diagram for a control system?

There are various software tools available for creating block diagrams in control engineering, such as MATLAB, Simulink, or LabVIEW. These programs provide a user-friendly interface to design and simulate control systems, and they also have built-in libraries of blocks and symbols commonly used in control engineering. Alternatively, block diagrams can also be drawn by hand using standard symbols and drawing techniques.