1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Control Systems Engineering : Masons Gain

1. Jan 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here is the system I am looking at

image.jpg

2. Relevant equations

So I worked out a formula for the steady state error and put it in a form similar to masons gain formula

image.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

But when I try and draw a block diagram and work out e I get confused by forward path and loop gain. It's not a question I have been asked, I am just playing, perhaps I cannot apply masons gain to my drawing? Or my drawing is wrong?

image.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your equations are not correct. For one thing, they are not dimensionally consistent: dh/dt = qin - qout has different dimensions on each side. q has dimension L^3 whereas dh/dt has dimension LT^(-1). L = length, T = time.

Your block diagram is good up to the point qin but then falls apart. Correct your equation for dh/dt: h cannot = qin - qout, you've already written dh/dt = qin - qout (which was incorrect also).

What is the correct relationship between dh/dt and qin - qout? (Hint: area of the bottom of the tank is a factor). And, once you get dh/dt right, how does one go from dh/dt to h?

4. Jan 28, 2013 #3
    Thanks for pointing that out, so I came to the idea that

a*dh/dt = dv/dt = q_in(t) - q_out(t) = 0 for steady state

which would make the rest of the derivation ok I hope?

Which then gave me a different drawing for the block diagram.

image.jpg

Which gives me a loop gain of (c_1 - c_2)/as

Instead of the c_1 / c_2 i got when I used the assumption that dv/dt = 0 for steady state. Am I still wrong with my equations or drawing?

I thought I had it for a minute there! Thanks for your help. I don't need to do it, it's just bugging me as I cannot relate it to the rest of my notes.

5. Jan 28, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your block diagram is now correct.

Loop gain = H(s)/H0(s).

6. Jan 29, 2013 #5
    Thanks again mate, I played with it some more, got the answers I wanted and have a much better understanding of signal flow graphs and masons formula.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook