Control Systems Engineering - Masons Rule Help

In summary, the conversation is about using Mason's rule to solve for the transfer function VLoad(s)/IDist(s). The student has already solved for VLoad(s)/ICf(s) but is unsure how to solve for VLoad(s)/IDist(s). They discuss the forward path and loops in the circuit and come to the conclusion that the gain would be -1/(CFS).
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find [itex]\frac{V_{Load}(s)}{I_{Dist}(s)}[/itex] using Mason's rule. I was able to solve for [itex]\frac{V_{Load}}{I_{Cf}(S)}[/itex] using Mason's rule but am not sure how to solve for [itex]\frac{V_{Load}(s)}{I_{Dist}(s)}[/itex].

http://imageshack.com/a/img31/4299/zr5.PNG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There's only one forward path, [itex]1*\frac{1}{C_{f}s}*1[/itex]. Am I supposed to consider the loops to the left of [itex]I_{Dist}[/itex] to be non-touching loops? I've never solved a problem like this before were I'm asked to solve for the transfer function for a variable that's in the middle of a flow diagram and am not exactly sure. I'm also unsure if in the diagram that's a negative sign in front of [itex]I_{Dist}[/itex]. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As you stated there is only one forward path. That means that the gain will always be 1*1/CFS*1, as you already stated. It looks like there is a negative sign to me.

I don't want to just give you the answer, but you are VERY close.

Is it really just [itex]-\frac{C_{f}s}{1 - C_{f}s}[/itex]?

well there is no loops in the circuits. so the gain would just be the forware gain.

so vload/-Idist=1/(CFS)

So if I wanted positive Vload/Idist it would just be the opposite magnitude, -1/(CFS)?

Yessir

1. What is Mason's Rule?

Mason's Rule, also known as the Mason's Gain Formula, is a mathematical tool used in control systems engineering to calculate the overall gain of a system by considering the individual gains of its components. It is particularly useful for analyzing closed-loop systems.

2. How do I use Mason's Rule?

The first step in using Mason's Rule is to draw a signal flow graph of the system. Then, assign gain values to each forward path and find the individual loop gains. Finally, plug these values into Mason's Rule formula to calculate the overall gain of the system.

3. What are the benefits of using Mason's Rule?

Mason's Rule is a powerful tool for analyzing complex control systems as it takes into account all possible paths in the system. It also provides a systematic approach to calculating the overall gain, making it less prone to errors compared to manual calculations.

4. Are there any limitations to Mason's Rule?

While Mason's Rule is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the system is linear and time-invariant, and it can only be used for systems with feedback loops. It is also not suitable for systems with large numbers of paths, as it becomes increasingly complex to calculate the overall gain.

5. Can Mason's Rule be used for other purposes?

While Mason's Rule is primarily used for calculating overall gain, it can also be used for other purposes such as finding the sensitivity of the system to parameter changes and determining the stability of the system. It can also be applied in fields outside of control systems engineering, such as circuit analysis and network theory.