Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Control systems question involving laplace transforms

1. Sep 21, 2012 #1

FOIWATER

Gold Member

I have narrowed down a control systems question I am doing to the following function in the S-domain.. numerator = (5s+1) denominator = (s+3)(3s+2)(s^2)

Using partial fraction expansion - I compute A = 14/63... D = 1/6... B = -2.25 And I can go no further - because both MATLAB and MAPLE disagree with me on B. They say I have the correct A and C, but they have B listed as -3/4. I have NO idea how they are achieving this result... any ideas?

When I expanded I got this, A/(S+3) B(3S+2) C/S D/S^2 all added... and when i cross multiply and try to solve for B... I get all terms except for B having the (3S+2) (It got cancelled out of the num and den in B when I cross multiplied). Can anyone agree with me so far?...

Now, I proceed to make S = -2/3, since this will drive A, C, and D to zero, leaving me with:
    5S+1 = B(S+3)S^2 right?

and when I put in -2/3 no matter what I do I get -2.25 I have even tried to expand and use systems of equations, in which case I still get the -2.25... not sure why

The MATLAB function I used with this equation was the [r,p,k]= function to get the residue and poles. in maple i used invlaplace and they both give -3/4 for B, and 19/36 for C, of which I get neither.. However we both agree on A and B what am I doing wrong, anyone?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2012 #2

FOIWATER

Gold Member

Every system I compute this with gives me 3/4 for B, it must have to do with the way I am dividing B by 3s+2, although I dont see where it is incorrect..

I am so sorry for asking a question that I immediately found the answer to.

The problem was - the residue function of MATLAB apparently - the r in rpk the residue itself is not the answers to the partial fraction analysis, it is the answers to the time domain coefficients of each term? because when I now multiply -2.25 by 1/3 im going to get the 3/4. I just should of kept going!.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook