Convergence of a series

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that the convergence of a series implies the convergence of the same series divided by its index. The conversation also mentions using the comparison test and Cauchy-Schwarz inequality to prove this statement.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] convergence of a series

Homework Statement

Prove that the convergence of [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] implies the convergence of [itex]\sum \frac{a_n}{n}[/itex] if [itex]a_n \geq 0[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to use the comparison test. So, I want to find [itex]N_0[/itex] so that [itex]n \geq N_0[/itex] implies [tex]\frac{\sqrt{a_n}}{n} \leq a_n[/tex] which is clearly not in general possible. So I am stuck. Maybe I need to replace a_n by a subsequence of a_n or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
consider any partial sum A_m = Sum(a_k/k, k = 1,..., m).

|A_m| = |a_1/1 + ... + a_k/k| = |(1/1) * a_1 + ... + (1/k)*a_k| <= ...

Sorry. I am trying to prove
[tex]
\sum \frac{\sqrt{a_n}}{n}
[/tex]

converges not

[tex]
\sum \frac{a_n}{n}
[/tex]

For some reason, I cannot edit the opening post.

ok even easier, just means you won't have to show something else I had in mine,

Let A_m = sum(sqrt(a_k)/k, k = 1,..., m) be any partial sum, then

|A_m| = |sqrt(a_1)/1 + ... + sqrt(a_k)/k| = |(1/1)*sqrt(a_1) + ... + (1/k)sqrt(a_k)| <= ...

use some famous inequality for the next step(not the triangle inequality), what's the other one I'm sure you know!

Cauchy-Schwarz. Yay!

BTW you're k's and m's are mixed up.

ehrenfest said:
Cauchy-Schwarz. Yay!

BTW you're k's and m's are mixed up.

woops yea, good to see you got it! I'll look at your other question now

1. What is the definition of convergence of a series?

Convergence of a series refers to the behavior of a sequence of partial sums of a series as the number of terms in the sequence increases. A series is said to converge if the sequence of partial sums approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases.

2. How is convergence of a series different from convergence of a sequence?

Convergence of a series and convergence of a sequence are related concepts, but they are not the same. Convergence of a series looks at the behavior of the partial sums of a series, while convergence of a sequence looks at the behavior of the individual terms of a sequence as the index increases.

3. What is the difference between absolute convergence and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence and conditional convergence are two types of convergence for series. A series is said to be absolutely convergent if the absolute value of each term in the series converges. A series is said to be conditionally convergent if the series itself converges, but the absolute value of each term does not converge.

4. How do you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

To determine if a series is convergent or divergent, one can use various tests such as the ratio test, root test, or comparison test. These tests compare the series to known convergent or divergent series and can help determine the behavior of the series in question.

5. What is the significance of the convergence of a series in mathematics?

Convergence of a series is an essential concept in mathematics as it allows us to determine whether a series has a finite sum or not. It also helps us understand the behavior of infinite sequences and series, which have many applications in fields such as calculus, statistics, and physics.