Convergence of alternating series

In summary: And since it's also monotone, it would converge.sorry, I don't understand your question, i.e. what you are asking. I don't understand how to prove the statement.In summary, the conversation is about proving the inequality |s-sn| ≤ an+1 for the sum of an alternating series using Cauchy sequences and the Ratio test. The attempt at a solution involved considering the difference of two partial sums and regrouping the terms to show that the sequence is Cauchy and therefore converges. However, it was pointed out that this conclusion only holds if the sequence is nonnegative and decreasing to zero monotonically.
vikkisut88

Homework Statement

Let s be the sum of the alternating series [tex]\sum[/tex](from n=1 to [tex]\infty[/tex])(-1)n+1an with n-th partial sum sn. Show that |s - sn| [tex]\leq[/tex]an+1

Homework Equations

I know about Cauchy sequences, the Ratio test, the Root test

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea where I'm meant to start with this question. I didn't know whether I thne have to take more partial sums i.e. partial sums of the n-th partial sum and work with it from there, or something else. I would be really grateful if someone could help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think your statement is true as you gave it.
For example, let
[tex]\begin{cases}
a_0 & {} = 1 \\
a_1 & {} = 0 \\
a_n & {} = 2^{-n} \qquad (n > 1)
\end{cases}[/tex]

Then s = 3/2, |s - s0| = |5/6 - 1| = |-1/6| = 1/6 which is not smaller than a1 = 0.

[edit]I had s = 5/6, I think it should be 3/2. Doesn't affect my argument though.[/edit]

Last edited:
sorry i don't really understand that - how did you work out that s was 5/6? And did you just choose random values for a0, a1 and an? I have rechecked my homework question and that is exactly what it said!

CompuChip just gave you a counterexample. To prove your conclusion, you also need to assume that a_n is a nonnegative sequence decreasing to zero monotonically. That might be what you are missing.

okay, but i still don't understand how I'm meant to show the result, sorry. This question has got me completely flummoxed.

Start by looking at the difference of two partial sums |s_m-s_n| for m<n. Try to show that's less than or equal to a_m+1. Write down the terms making up the difference and regroup them. This would show the sequence is Cauchy, right?

1. What is the definition of "convergence of alternating series"?

The convergence of an alternating series is a mathematical concept that refers to the behavior of a series that alternates between positive and negative terms as more and more terms are added. It is said to converge if the terms of the series approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases.

2. How can I determine if an alternating series converges or diverges?

To determine the convergence of an alternating series, you can use the alternating series test. This test states that if the terms of an alternating series decrease in absolute value and approach 0, then the series converges. However, if the terms do not approach 0, the series diverges.

3. Are there any other tests that can be used to determine the convergence of an alternating series?

Yes, there are other tests that can be used to determine convergence, such as the ratio test, root test, and integral test. However, the alternating series test is specifically designed for alternating series and is often the most efficient method for determining convergence.

4. How does the convergence of an alternating series differ from that of a regular series?

The main difference between the convergence of an alternating series and a regular series is that an alternating series can converge even if the terms do not approach 0, as long as they alternate in sign and decrease in absolute value. This is not the case for regular series, which must have terms that approach 0 in order to converge.

5. Can an alternating series converge to a negative or imaginary number?

No, an alternating series can only converge to a real number. This is because the terms of an alternating series must alternate between positive and negative values, and therefore, the sum of the series can only be a real number. If the series converges, it will approach a real limit.