Convergence of Infinite Product

In summary: So |b_n| < C|a_n| for C=2. So if the sum of |a_n| converges, then the sum of |b_n| converges absolutely by comparison test.Right. So |b_n| < C|a_n| for C=2. So if the sum of |a_n| converges, then the sum of |b_n| converges absolutely by comparison test.In summary, if \sum a_{j} converges absolutely and a_{j}\neq -1 for all j, then by considering b_{j}=\frac{1}{1+a_{j}}-1, we can show that \sum b_{j} also converges absolutely. This allows
holomorphic

Homework Statement

If [tex]\sum a_{j}[/tex] converges absolutely, and [tex]a_{j}\neq -1[/tex] for all j, then show [tex]\prod _{j=1} ^{\infty} (1+a_{j})\neq 0[/tex]. Hint: Consider [tex]b_{j}[/tex] such that [tex](1+b_{j})(1+a_{j})=1[/tex]. Show that [tex]\sum _{j=1} ^{\infty} b_{j}[/tex] converges absolutely, and consider [tex]\prod _{j=1} ^{\infty} (1+a_{j}) \bullet \prod _{j=1} ^{\infty} (1+b_{j})[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the hint gives [tex]b_{j} = \frac{1}{1 + a_{j}} - 1[/tex], but I am not really sure how to show [tex]\sum b_{j}[/tex] converges absolutely. I tried writing down inequalities I know, e.g. [tex]\left|a_{j} + 1 \right| \leq \left|a_{j}\right| + 1[/tex], and manipulating them to show that [tex]\sum \left|b_{j}\right| \leq \sum\left|a_{j}\right|[/tex]... but it's not working. I also tried to write [tex]\sum \left|b_{j}\right|[/tex] as a fraction with the product [tex]\prod (1+a_{j})[/tex] in the denominator, but the formula for the numerator turned out not to be so easy to write.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bj=1/(1+aj)-1=(-aj)/(1+aj). lim aj->0. So for large enough j, |aj|<(1/2). Isn't that enough to show bj converges absolutely if aj does?

Dick said:
bj=1/(1+aj)-1=(-aj)/(1+aj). lim aj->0. So for large enough j, |aj|<(1/2). Isn't that enough to show bj converges absolutely if aj does?

I guess I don't understand why that's enough to show bj converges absolutely.

Ohh wait... so [tex] \left| b_{n} \right| \leq \left| a_{n} \right| [/tex] when n>=N for some N and an converges absolutely, therefore bn converges absolutely. Right?

holomorphic said:
I guess I don't understand why that's enough to show bj converges absolutely.

Ohh wait... so [tex] \left| b_{n} \right| \leq \left| a_{n} \right| [/tex] when n>=N for some N and an converges absolutely, therefore bn converges absolutely. Right?

I wouldn't say |b_n|<=|a_n|. a_n isn't necessarily positive. So |1+a_n| isn't greater than one. But you can show |b_n|<=C*|a_n| for some constant C.

Dick said:
I wouldn't say |b_n|<=|a_n|. a_n isn't necessarily positive. So |1+a_n| isn't greater than one. But you can show |b_n|<=C*|a_n| for some constant C.

So, supposing |a_n| < 1/2, then [tex] \left| b_{n} \right| = \frac{\left| a_{n} \right|}{\left| 1 + a_{n} \right|} < 1 [/tex], so that |b_n| < 2*|a_n| ?

If this is right, then thanks very much for your help.

holomorphic said:
So, supposing |a_n| < 1/2, then [tex] \left| b_{n} \right| = \frac{\left| a_{n} \right|}{\left| 1 + a_{n} \right|} < 1 [/tex], so that |b_n| < 2*|a_n| ?

If this is right, then thanks very much for your help.

Right.

1. What is the definition of convergence of infinite product?

The convergence of infinite product is a mathematical concept that refers to the behavior of an infinite product as the number of terms in the product approaches infinity. In simpler terms, it determines whether an infinite product will have a finite value or will continue to increase indefinitely.

2. How is the convergence of infinite product different from the convergence of infinite series?

The convergence of infinite product and the convergence of infinite series are two different concepts in mathematics. The convergence of infinite product determines the behavior of an infinite product, while the convergence of infinite series determines the behavior of an infinite sum. In other words, an infinite product involves multiplying terms, while an infinite series involves adding terms.

3. What are the conditions for the convergence of infinite product?

There are several conditions for the convergence of infinite product, including the terms in the product must be positive, the terms must decrease in size as the index increases, and the limit of the terms must approach 1 as the index approaches infinity. There are also other more complex conditions depending on the type of infinite product being evaluated.

4. How is the convergence of infinite product determined?

The convergence of infinite product is determined by evaluating the limit of the product as the number of terms approaches infinity. If the limit is a finite number, the product is said to converge. If the limit is infinite or does not exist, the product is said to diverge. This is similar to how the convergence of infinite series is determined by evaluating the limit of the sum as the number of terms approaches infinity.

5. What are some real-world applications of convergence of infinite product?

The concept of convergence of infinite product has many real-world applications, such as in finance, physics, and engineering. In finance, it is used to calculate compound interest and in the valuation of financial assets. In physics, it is used to model the behavior of systems with an infinite number of particles. In engineering, it is used to analyze the stability and convergence of numerical methods used in computer simulations and modeling.