1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of series of the form (r^n)cos(nx)

1. Aug 31, 2008 #1
    Show that

[tex] \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} p^{n}cos\left(n\theta\right) = \frac{1-pcos\theta}{1-2pcos\theta+p^{2}} [/tex]

if [tex] \left|p\right|<1[/tex].

Looking at this series, I see that p will approach zero as n approaches infinity, while the series oscillates because of the cosine term. The convergence is easy to see, but not the function that it converges to. The series is reminiscent of a geometric series, or possibly a Fourier series, but the cosine term really complicates things for me. I tried looking for similar problems on the web, but only found examples that apply the tests of convergence rather than determining this function.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi buffordboy23! :smile:

erm … if p is real, then [tex] p^{n}cos\left(n\theta\right) = \Re(p^ne^{in\theta}) [/tex] :wink:

4. Aug 31, 2008 #3
    tiny-tim,

I am still clueless. I have thought of this option but still cannot proceed. I have tried various expansions and equivalent expressions for the initial cosine term--such as cos nx = [exp(nx) + exp(-nx)]/2--and the equivalent form that you suggest. Unfortunately, my text is rather terse on the convergence of an infinite series, as it only discusses the Cauchy-criterion and Weierstrauss condition--methods to show convergence, but not the function that it is convergent to--and the text is also devoid of example problems. Is there a specific name of the concept to be used in this application?

5. Aug 31, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi buffordboy23! :smile:

Can you sum [tex]\sum_{n = 0}^\infty p^n[/tex] (for |p| < 1) ? :smile:

6. Aug 31, 2008 #5
    Yes, this is just a geometric series, where the constant term is 1, so the sum of this series is

[tex]\frac{1}{1-p}[/tex]

EDIT: I never saw anything before with the form cos(nx), and could not find any examples anywhere either.

7. Aug 31, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ok … now apply that to [tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty p^ne^{in\theta} [/tex] :wink:

8. Aug 31, 2008 #7
    I am still confused; I don't ever recall seeing the summation of a complex exponential. I am thinking that I can somehow split the terms so that I have two summation terms, which then will lead to the product of two separate terms.

9. Aug 31, 2008 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty p^ne^{in\theta}\ =\ \sum_{n=0}^\infty \left(pe^{i\theta}\right)^n[/tex]

10. Aug 31, 2008 #9
    Yes...I see it clearly now. The funny thing is that I had this form at one moment, but failed to recognize its obscure relation to the geometric series.

Thanks tiny-tim for your time and assistance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?