Convergence of series of the form (r^n)cos(nx)

In summary, the given series, \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} p^{n}cos\left(n\theta\right), converges to the function \frac{1-pcos\theta}{1-2pcos\theta+p^{2}}, if \left|p\right|<1. This can be shown by using the geometric series \sum_{n=0}^\infty p^n, and converting the cosine term to its equivalent form of p^n*e^{in\theta}.
buffordboy23
Show that

[tex] \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} p^{n}cos\left(n\theta\right) = \frac{1-pcos\theta}{1-2pcos\theta+p^{2}} [/tex]

if [tex] \left|p\right|<1[/tex].

Looking at this series, I see that p will approach zero as n approaches infinity, while the series oscillates because of the cosine term. The convergence is easy to see, but not the function that it converges to. The series is reminiscent of a geometric series, or possibly a Fourier series, but the cosine term really complicates things for me. I tried looking for similar problems on the web, but only found examples that apply the tests of convergence rather than determining this function.

Physics news on Phys.org
buffordboy23 said:
Show that

[tex] \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} p^{n}cos\left(n\theta\right) = \frac{1-pcos\theta}{1-2pcos\theta+p^{2}} [/tex]

if [tex] \left|p\right|<1[/tex].

Hi buffordboy23! :smile:

erm … if p is real, then [tex] p^{n}cos\left(n\theta\right) = \Re(p^ne^{in\theta}) [/tex] :wink:

tiny-tim,

I am still clueless. I have thought of this option but still cannot proceed. I have tried various expansions and equivalent expressions for the initial cosine term--such as cos nx = [exp(nx) + exp(-nx)]/2--and the equivalent form that you suggest. Unfortunately, my text is rather terse on the convergence of an infinite series, as it only discusses the Cauchy-criterion and Weierstrauss condition--methods to show convergence, but not the function that it is convergent to--and the text is also devoid of example problems. Is there a specific name of the concept to be used in this application?

Hi buffordboy23! :smile:

Can you sum [tex]\sum_{n = 0}^\infty p^n[/tex] (for |p| < 1) ? :smile:

Yes, this is just a geometric series, where the constant term is 1, so the sum of this series is

[tex]\frac{1}{1-p}[/tex]

EDIT: I never saw anything before with the form cos(nx), and could not find any examples anywhere either.

buffordboy23 said:
Yes, this is just a geometric series, where the constant term is 1, so the sum of this series is

[tex]\frac{1}{1-p}[/tex]

ok … now apply that to [tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty p^ne^{in\theta} [/tex] :wink:

I am still confused; I don't ever recall seeing the summation of a complex exponential. I am thinking that I can somehow split the terms so that I have two summation terms, which then will lead to the product of two separate terms.

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty p^ne^{in\theta}\ =\ \sum_{n=0}^\infty \left(pe^{i\theta}\right)^n[/tex]

Yes...I see it clearly now. The funny thing is that I had this form at one moment, but failed to recognize its obscure relation to the geometric series.

Thanks tiny-tim for your time and assistance.

Related to Convergence of series of the form (r^n)cos(nx)

1. What is the definition of convergence in terms of series?

Convergence in terms of series refers to the behavior of a sequence of partial sums of terms in a series. A series is said to be convergent if the sequence of partial sums approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases.

2. How does the convergence of a series of the form (r^n)cos(nx) differ from other types of series?

A series of the form (r^n)cos(nx) is a special case of a power series, where the terms alternate in sign and approach zero as the number of terms increases. This type of series can exhibit different types of convergence, such as absolute convergence, conditional convergence, or divergence.

3. What is the role of the ratio test in determining the convergence of (r^n)cos(nx)?

The ratio test is a common method used to determine the convergence of series, including (r^n)cos(nx). It involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio between consecutive terms. If this limit is less than 1, the series is absolutely convergent, and if it is greater than 1, the series is divergent. If the limit is exactly 1, further tests are needed to determine the convergence.

4. Can a series of the form (r^n)cos(nx) converge for some values of r and n, but not for others?

Yes, the convergence of (r^n)cos(nx) can depend on the specific values of r and n. For example, if r=1 and n=1, the series becomes the alternating harmonic series, which is conditionally convergent. However, if r=2 and n=1, the series becomes the geometric series, which is absolutely convergent. Therefore, the convergence of this series can vary depending on the values chosen for r and n.

5. What are some real-world applications of series of the form (r^n)cos(nx)?

Series of the form (r^n)cos(nx) are commonly used in mathematical modeling and signal processing. They can be used to model various phenomena, such as the behavior of electrical circuits, sound waves, or chemical reactions. In signal processing, these types of series are used to analyze and manipulate signals, such as those in telecommunication systems or audio and video processing.