Converging Diverging Nozzle

In summary, the researcher tested compressible flow through a converging diverging nozzle and was able to read off pressure values, inlet and outlet temperatures, and the mass flow rate. He asked how to determine the velocity at each pressure point for the subsonic and super sonic flow parts and how to find the velocity at each pressure point for supersonic flow. He is not very familiar with compressible flows and said that Bernoulli's equation, even when modified to allow for compressible flow, is not usually very useful. He suggested using isentropic relationships instead.
Johnsy18
Hey everyone.

So I just experimented on compressible flow through a converging diverging nozzle. The nozzle had 8 pressure points from where which pressure was measured, as well as inlet and outlet pressures. The inlet pressure and mass flow rate were adjusted to form subsonic flow and adjusted again to form super sonic flow.

I was able to read off pressure values from each pressure point and the mass flow rate too, as well as the inlet and outlet temperatures.

My questions are:

How do I determine the velocity at each pressure point for the subsonic and super sonic flow parts? I know that subsonic flow obeys Bernoulli's theorem, P1 + pV1^2/2 + pgh1 = P2 + pV2^2/2 + pgh2, so if I was to use that equation to find the velocity at a pressure point then how would I know V1 and V2? Do I just assume V1 is 0 and then calculate V2?

As for supersonic flow, how would I find the velocity at each pressure point? I know the density is not constant.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The subsonic flow would not obey Bernoulli's equation, which does not apply to compressible flows without modification.

How familiar are you with compressible flows? Do you know about the isentropic relations?

I have only just began learning about compressible flow. So, you say that with modification, subsonic flow does obey Bernoulli's theorem. What is this modification?

I've herd of Isentropic flows. Not fully aware of how and what it applies to.

No, with modification you can use Bernoulli's equation for subsonic compressible flows. Are you familiar with the limitations of Bernoulli's equation? That should be a good starting place rather than just jumping straight into compressible flows.

That said, Bernoulli's equation, even when modified to allow for compressible flow, is not usually very useful. You are better off assuming the system is isentropic and using those aforementioned relationships, which are much simpler, easier to use, and very accurate in most situations.

Bernoulli's equation (without modification) is only valid for incompressible flow. For gas flows, compressibility effects can be neglected for gas velocities below about 0.3 Mach.

To study flows above this velocity, there are several different types of flow which can be considered: adiabatic (no heat transfer to/from the surroundings) or isothermal (constant temperature), both with and without friction. This topic is generally studied as an introduction to gas dynamics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressible_flow

Ascher Shapiro wrote one of the first text on gas dynamics back in the 1950s (and is still in print), and his book was used to develop the formulas in the Crane Technical Paper 410. A more recent version of similar text is Gas Dynamics by Zucrow & Hoffman.

http://www.nasonline.org/publications/biographical-memoirs/memoir-pdfs/shapiro-ascher.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471066915/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/047198440X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

This website is based on Shapiro's work:

http://www.potto.org/gasDynamics/node61.php

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a converging diverging nozzle?

A converging diverging nozzle is a type of nozzle used in fluid dynamics to accelerate the flow of a fluid, such as air or gas, by changing its pressure and velocity. It has a converging section that narrows the flow, followed by a diverging section that expands the flow. This shape creates a supersonic flow, which is useful in applications such as rocket engines and supersonic aircraft.

How does a converging diverging nozzle work?

A converging diverging nozzle works by taking advantage of the conservation of mass, energy, and momentum in fluid flow. The converging section of the nozzle compresses the fluid, increasing its speed and pressure. The diverging section then expands the flow, further increasing its speed and reducing its pressure. This creates a supersonic flow, with the air or gas exiting the nozzle at a speed faster than the speed of sound.

What are the applications of a converging diverging nozzle?

Converging diverging nozzles have a wide range of applications, including rocket engines, jet engines, supersonic and hypersonic aircraft, and even some industrial processes. The supersonic flow created by the nozzle allows for high-speed propulsion and efficient energy conversion, making it a crucial component in many advanced technologies.

What are the design considerations for a converging diverging nozzle?

The design of a converging diverging nozzle is critical for its performance and efficiency. Factors such as the shape and angle of the converging and diverging sections, the pressure and temperature of the fluid, and the nozzle's size and materials all affect its performance. Additionally, the nozzle must be carefully designed to avoid flow separation, which can reduce its efficiency.

What are the advantages of using a converging diverging nozzle?

One of the main advantages of using a converging diverging nozzle is its ability to create supersonic flow, which is essential in many high-speed applications. This type of nozzle also allows for efficient energy conversion and propulsion, making it a crucial component in aerospace and industrial technologies. Additionally, converging diverging nozzles are relatively simple in design and construction, making them cost-effective and easy to maintain.