Calculating Bullet Speed for Pendulum Swing?

In summary, the first problem involves a bullet of mass 20.0 g being fired into a wooden block of mass 2.50 kg on a horizontal surface. The block slides 2.50 m after impact, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and surface is .600. The initial velocity of the block is 0 and the final velocity is also 0. Using the conservation of momentum and energy, the final velocity of the bullet is found to be 68.3 m/s, which is off by a power of 10 compared to the correct answer.The second problem involves a bullet of mass m being fired into a wooden block of mass M, which is suspended from a rod of length L. The bullet
miss_story
Conversation of Momentum (2 problems)

Homework Statement

The problem:
"A 20.0 gram bullet is fired into a 2.50 kg wooden block initially at rest on a horizontal surface. After impact the block slides 2.50 m before coming to a rest. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the surface is .600, what was the speed of the bullet immediately after impact? Derive the necessary equations."

Given:
mA = mass of bullet = 20.0 g = .02 kg
mB = mass of block = 2.50 kg
VBi = initial velocity of the block = 0
d = distance block travels after collision = 2.50 m
u = mu or the coefficient of kinetic friction = .600
Vf = final velocity of masses = 0

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum when the collision is inelastic
mAVAi + mBVBi = (mA + mB)V

Conservation of energy in the presence of a non-conservative force

Since this system only has kinetic energy, the formula is:

(1/2)(mA + mB)Vf^2 - (1/2)(mA + mB)V^2 = -Fkd

where Fk is the force of kinetic friction, and Fk = uN and N = the normal force.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are links to the work I did:
Pg. 1
http://www.box.net/shared/8n4dx0bq6b
Pg. 2
http://www.box.net/shared/39qk8an8ae

I don't have the calculation in the written work, but this is what I did:
VAi = (.02 + 2.50)(sqrt(2*.60*9.8*2.50))/.02
VAi = 683 m/s

However, the answer that my teacher has the correct answer is 68.3, so my answer is off by a power of 10, but I don't know what I did wrong...I've done the problem twice (and if you look at my solution, it takes me awhile each time heh) and I still can't figure it out. Any help is appreciated!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem #2

Homework Statement

The problem:
"A bullet of mass m is fired into a wooden block of mass M, suspended from a rod (considered massless) of length L. The bullet passes through the block and comes out with a third of its original speed. What must be the minimum speed of the bullet if the pendulum is to swing 180 degrees, barely remaining on a circular path?"

Given:
Vmf = the velocity of the bullet after collision = (1/3)Vmi
Since the pendulum barely remains along a circular path, the velocity of the block at the top of the circular path, VMtop = 0.

Homework Equations

Cons of Momentum:
mVmi + MVMi = mVmf + MVMf

Cons of Energy (this system has potential gravitational energy and kinetic energy), applied after collision to the block:
(1/2)M(VMf)^2 + Mghi = (1/2)M(VMtop)^2 + Mghf

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up my coordinate system so that y = 0 when the pendulum was at rest initially. So, that means hi = 0, and hf = 2L.

I assumed the initial velocity of the block before collision is zero because I assumed the block was at rest. So, VMi = 0

So, my equations become:

Cons of Momentum:
mVmi + MVMi = mVmf + MVMf
mVmi = mVmf + MVMf

and mVmf = (1/3)Vmi, so the equation now becomes:

mVmi = (1/3)Vmi + MVMf
(2/3)mVmi = MVMf
Vmi = (3/2)(MVMf)/m

Solving the cons of energy equation for VMf gives VMf = 2sqrt(gL)

Subbing that into the equation from the cons. of momentum gives:
Vmi = 3Msqrt(gL)/m

The answer my teacher has is (3/2)Msqrt(5gL)/m. I have no idea how he got 5gL under the sqrt root.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Though I was too lazy to check your first problem---I think it's a calculation error----you did not correctly find the required velocity for pendulum to make a complete rotation in the second problem. You can not find out this speed by only conserving energy----the correct limiting condition is for tension in the thread and not the velocity of the pendulum to vanish. That gives you sqrt(5gl).
Hint:Try using a little dynamics as well as energy conservation.

1. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, meaning that the total amount of momentum before an event or interaction is equal to the total amount of momentum after the event or interaction.

2. What are the key principles of conservation of momentum?

The key principles of conservation of momentum are that momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and that momentum is conserved in both elastic and inelastic collisions.

3. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The equation for momentum is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

4. How does conservation of momentum apply to real-world situations?

Conservation of momentum applies to real-world situations such as collisions between objects, explosions, and interactions between particles at the atomic level. It is also a key principle in understanding the motion of rockets and satellites in space.

5. What is an example of a conservation of momentum problem?

An example of a conservation of momentum problem would be a collision between two cars of different masses. By calculating the momentum of each car before and after the collision, it can be determined if momentum was conserved and the resulting velocities of each car.