Conversations in Compton Effect

In summary, the conversation discusses the Compton Effect and which quantities are conserved. The equations of conservation of energy-mass and momentum are mentioned, as well as the equation for the Compton effect. The participants consider which options are correct, with some being deemed irrelevant. However, there are definitely correct answers to all 6 options, with 1, 2, 4, and 5 being potential answers.
user977784078

Homework Statement

In the Compton Effect, which of the following is conserved? Select all that apply:
  1. Total relativistic momentum.
  2. Total energy of the photon.
  3. Rest mass energy of the electron.
  4. Total relativistic energy.
  5. Relativistic kinetic energy of the electron.
  6. Net charge.

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy-mass and momentum:
[tex]hv_{i}+m_{e}c^{2}=hv_{f}+\sqrt{(p_e)^{2}c^{2}+(m_{e})^2c^{4}}[/tex]
[tex]pe_i+pf_i=pe_f+pf_f[/tex]
Compton effect:
[tex]\Delta \lambda = \frac{h}{m_{e} c}(1-cos\theta )[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think 1 and 4 are definitely correct.
6 seems irrelevant.
I am not sure about the other 3, they seem redundant but can be true.
I chose 1 and 4 and the answer was wrong. I chose 1, 2, 4 and 5 and it was also wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are definitely correct answers to all 6 options. Why don't you tell us what you think of each and why?

1) How does the Compton effect demonstrate the wave-particle duality of light?

The Compton effect, also known as Compton scattering, shows that light exhibits both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This is because when a photon (particle) interacts with an electron, it can transfer energy and momentum like a particle, but it also diffracts and interferes like a wave.

2) What is the significance of the Compton effect in modern physics?

The Compton effect provided experimental evidence for the concept of photons and helped to confirm the wave-particle duality of light. It also led to the development of quantum mechanics and contributed to our understanding of the structure of atoms and the behavior of particles at the atomic level.

3) How does the angle of scattering in the Compton effect depend on the energy of the incident photon?

The angle of scattering in the Compton effect depends on the energy of the incident photon according to the Compton formula: θ = arccos[1/(1 + (E0/mc2)(1 - cosθ))], where θ is the angle of scattering, E0 is the energy of the incident photon, m is the mass of the electron, and c is the speed of light.

4) How is the Compton effect related to the photoelectric effect?

The Compton effect and the photoelectric effect both demonstrate the particle-like behavior of light. The photoelectric effect shows that light can transfer energy to electrons and cause them to be emitted from a metal surface. The Compton effect, on the other hand, shows that light can also transfer momentum to electrons, causing them to scatter at different angles.

5) What are some applications of the Compton effect?

The Compton effect has a wide range of applications, including medical imaging (such as CT scans), material science (such as X-ray diffraction), and nuclear physics (such as studying the structure of nuclei). It is also used in technology, such as in X-ray machines and gamma-ray detectors.