Conversion from aircraft bearing to normal degrees

In summary: N = ΔE * RIn summary, the bearings that Mike is referring to are oriented 90 degrees out of phase and they go from 0 to 360 clock wise. He needs to convert these bearings to standard orientation in mathematics in order to use the formulae that he provided.
michael atlas
I have a list of bearings that I want to convert. The normal degrees circle is oriented with 0 to 360 going counter clockwise. I have degrees calculations that require this. I have a set of data from bearings from an aircraft where I need to convert those bearings to normal degrees bearings. As in, the bearings that I have are oriented 90 degrees out of phase and they go from 0 to 360 clock wise.

Attached is a picture of what I mean.

Does anyone know a formula to do this for any bearing to normal degrees?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
What was wrong with the method I gave you in your earlier thread?

I did not realize it until I had to present the data that I used the formula for in the code that I wrote, but the bearing was off. The bearing that aircraft use orients the degreesfrom 0 at north to 90 at east, to 180 at south, etc. The bearings that I had where I needed that formula for were oriented that way. That code worked only for bearings that were oriented in the way standard mathematics works: as in for the unit circle; 0 degrees is oriented on the right side of the circle and it increments up to 360 degrees as you go counter clock wise on the circle.

So for example, when I have a bearing that is 270 degrees, the code tells me the new lat and long was at a bearing of 90 degrees. and vice versa.

I had to convert my bearings to the standard orientation in math for 0, 90 180, 270, 360 unit circle. It's fine now because I figured out the conversion.

R/
Mike

I did not realize it until I had to present the data that I used the formula for in the code that I wrote, but the bearing was off. The bearing that aircraft use orients the degreesfrom 0 at north to 90 at east, to 180 at south, etc. The bearings that I had where I needed that formula for were oriented that way. That code worked only for bearings that were oriented in the way standard mathematics works: as in for the unit circle; 0 degrees is oriented on the right side of the circle and it increments up to 360 degrees as you go counter clock wise on the circle.

Mebbe so, but the formulae I posted before were already corrected.

Attached is a flowchart for programming the conventional non corrected formulae.

Attachments

• bearing1.jpg
    bearing1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,320
Hmm I wonder if compass bearing in degrees=Mod(90-x,360) wouldn't do the trick.

Last edited:

Related to Conversion from aircraft bearing to normal degrees

What is the difference between aircraft bearing and normal degrees?

Aircraft bearing is a system of measuring direction used in aviation, while normal degrees are based on a standard compass and are used in everyday navigation. The main difference is that aircraft bearing is measured from the aircraft's direction of travel, while normal degrees are measured in relation to magnetic north.

Why do we need to convert from aircraft bearing to normal degrees?

Converting from aircraft bearing to normal degrees is necessary when navigating in areas where the two systems are used interchangeably. It ensures consistency and accuracy in navigation, as well as communication with other pilots and air traffic control.

How do you convert from aircraft bearing to normal degrees?

The conversion formula is as follows: Normal degrees = (Aircraft bearing + Magnetic variation) mod 360. The magnetic variation can be found on aeronautical charts or by using a magnetic declination calculator. It is important to note that the magnetic variation changes over time and location, so it is crucial to use the correct value for accurate conversion.

Can I use a standard compass to convert from aircraft bearing to normal degrees?

No, a standard compass does not have the capability to measure aircraft bearing. It is designed to measure normal degrees, so attempting to use it for conversion may result in inaccurate readings. It is recommended to use a specialized aircraft bearing instrument or a navigation system for accurate conversion.

Are there any benefits to using aircraft bearing over normal degrees?

Aircraft bearing is commonly used in aviation because it is more precise and easier to use for navigating in three-dimensional space. It also eliminates confusion when communicating with other pilots and air traffic control. However, normal degrees are still used in some situations, such as when navigating on land or water.