Convert into polar coordinates

In summary, City88 was trying to solve a double integral, but was having trouble with it. A member of the community offered to help, but advised City88 to convert the Integrand to Polar Coordinates. After doing so, City88 still had trouble with the Integrand, but was able to solve it by integrating along strips of thickness.
City88

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve a double integral of a function which is bounded by the ellipse:
[tex]\frac{(x-2)^2}{16}} + \frac{(y-4)^2}{36}}[/tex] = 1
And I can't figure out how to write this in polar coordinate form, and also what my bounds for theta and radius would be.

Homework Equations

I know that for a circle, the polar coordinates are
x=rcos(theta) and y=rsin(theta)
theta going from 0 to 2pi, and r going from o to a(being the radius)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that an ellipse is not a circle! so I can't apply this formula without doing some tweaking. Can anyone help with this "tweaking"?

I have started by thinking it would be something like..
x=rcos(theta) + 2
y=rsin(theta) + 4
Because the ellipse is not in the center, but I can't figure out what else to do...

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably the easiest thing to do is to make a change of variables, say u = x-2, v = y-4.

squashed circle

Hi City88! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a pi: π :smile:)

I don't understand why you want to convert to polar coordinates. :confused:

Does this help? … An ellipse is a squashed circle, so you can represent it as x = a cosθ, y = b sinθ. :smile:

Even after doing that, I'm still stuck..

x-2 = u = rcos(theta)
y-4 = v = rsin(theta)

Wouldn't I still have to add (more like multiply) something to the rcos(t)? The radius still isn't circular because the u2 and v2's are divided by 42 and 62.

[Deleted]

City88 said:
Tiny-tim, my original question is …
City88 said:
[tex]M_{x}= \int \int\ [/tex] y dx dy
[tex]
M_{y}= \int \int\ [/tex] x dx dy

Where the region is bounded by the ellipse:
[tex]\frac{(x-2)^2}{16}} + \frac{(y-4)^2}{36}}[/tex] = 1

You'd only convert to polar coordinates if your integrand was simpler in polar coordinates.

In this case, your integrand is either x or y which are obviously simpler in … x and y coordinates! :rolleyes:

Just integrate along strips of thickness dx or dy. :smile:

Yes, earlier I wrote
"This problem may be easier in polar coordinates."... but I was using 'may' in the sense that I had not really thought about it.

Thats what I first thought also...but then I realized the equation was just waaaay too messy for my liking. So then I figured polar coordinates may have to be used, since an ellipse sort of resembled a circle.

I just tried doing it again, but by keeping it in terms of x and y...and well it's messy!

for example, if I integrate with respect to x first, my bounds for that integral would be something like..

x goes from [tex]\pm[/tex] [tex]4\sqrt{1-\frac{(y-4)^{2}}{6^{2}}}+2[/tex]

so is it just me, or does integrating over those bounds seem frightening? I feel as though there should be an easier way to do this. But I guess I'll just integrate this mess and try to make it work!

messy bounds

City88 said:
… for example, if I integrate with respect to x first, my bounds for that integral would be something like..

x goes from [tex]\pm[/tex] [tex]4\sqrt{1-\frac{(y-4)^{2}}{6^{2}}}+2[/tex]

so is it just me, or does integrating over those bounds seem frightening? I feel as though there should be an easier way to do this. But I guess I'll just integrate this mess and try to make it work!

Messy bounds in the first integral don't matter, so long as the integrand is easy.

Of course, messy bounds in the first integral might make a messy integrand in the second integral …

so did it … ? :smile:

1. What are polar coordinates and why are they used?

Polar coordinates are a system used to represent points in a plane by using a distance from a fixed point (called the origin) and an angle from a fixed reference direction. They are used in situations where it is more convenient to describe a point using distance and angle, such as in physics or engineering problems involving circular or rotational motion.

2. How do you convert from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x, y) to polar coordinates (r, θ), you can use the following formulas: r = √(x^2 + y^2) and θ = tan^-1(y/x). This means that the distance from the origin is the square root of the sum of the squares of the x and y coordinates, and the angle is the inverse tangent of y/x.

3. Can polar coordinates be negative?

Yes, both the distance (r) and the angle (θ) in polar coordinates can be negative. A negative r value means the point is in the opposite direction of the positive r axis, and a negative θ value means the angle is measured clockwise from the positive x axis.

4. What is the difference between polar and cylindrical coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a two-dimensional system, while cylindrical coordinates are a three-dimensional system. In cylindrical coordinates, there is an additional coordinate, z, which represents the height of the point from the xy plane. The distance in cylindrical coordinates is represented by ρ (rho) instead of r, and the angle is still represented by θ.

5. Can any point be represented using polar coordinates?

Yes, any point in a plane can be represented using polar coordinates. However, some points may have multiple representations, as the same point can have different distances and angles from different origins or reference directions.