Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting a splitter from parallel to series.

1. Aug 28, 2006 #1
    So I've got this splitter that's I've been using to take the signal from 2 guitars and combine them into one so I can plug them both into one amp. However, when going form 2 to 1, it conjoins the signals in parallel, so they both lose volume. I took it apart, and tried to connect it in series. It ended up looking like this:

The result was that the input jack connected directly to the out gave a full signal, and the other gave a much weaker one. There must be a simple way to do this, but I'm stupid.

Any help would be appreciated,
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

I’m not into audio stuff but in general the output of electronic devices should not be connected together but should be isolated from one another. From your drawing, the splitter is not appropriate for what you are trying to do. I believe you want a $5.00 mixer as in this link:

4. Aug 29, 2006 #3

Gold Member

I have to agree there, and not just because Geniere is the expert in this matter. Isolation through a mixer is the proper way to go. If you absolutely have to combine the signals, I'd think that parallel is far more desireable that series. At least you're getting some sort of proportional mix that way, as opposed to stacking signals on top of each other, some of which probably block others.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?