How to Convert Lbm/ft^3 to kg/m^3?

• Thread starter LT72884
  • Start date
In summary, the conversion factor for converting lbm/ft^3 to kg/m^3 is 16.0185. To convert, simply multiply the value in lbm/ft^3 by 16.0185. It is important to convert units from lbm/ft^3 to kg/m^3 because they are two different unit systems used to measure mass and volume. Yes, there are online calculators available to convert lbm/ft^3 to kg/m^3. There are also other units used to measure density such as g/cm^3, g/mL, and lb/in^3. It is important to pay attention to the units being used and convert accordingly for accurate measurements.
LT72884

Homework Statement

The pressure drop in a duct is to be measured by a differential oil manometer. If the differential height between the two fluid columns is 5.7 inches and the density of oil is 41 lbm/ft^3, what is the pressure drop in the duct in mmHg? Report your answer to 1 decimal place.

Homework Equations

P=pgh
760mmHg - 101.325kPa=1atm = 760torr

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to do it, but I am stuck at converting Lbm/ft^3 to kg/m3
I used google to get that 41Lbm/ft3 is the same as 656.74kg/m3 and with that i get the correct answer after calculations. However, i don't want to use google for all my conversions. Please help me see how to convert Lbm/ft3 to kg/m3

thank you:)
Good Day

Physics news on Phys.org
Do it like this: $$\frac{1 \, lbm}{1 \, ft^3} = \frac{0.454\, kg}{(0.305)^3 \, m^3}$$ Calculate the value of ##\frac{0.454}{(0.305)^3 }##and put it there. You have your conversion.

Awesome:) the 0.305 is what unit? Is that a foot per meter as in 1 foot = 0.305m? I just want to make sure i get the numbers right. and 454 g per pound, hmm. my book nor homework lecture notes do not have those numbers. Well, i have them now haha. onward and upward. ANything else i should know about this problem?

thanks

##1 ft = 0.305 m## and ##1 lbm = 0.454kg##. I had to take those values from Google, as I am not used to the FPS system.

Just keep in mind that whenever you have some conversion of this type, change each unit to the required unit, put it in the expression, raise it to the necessary power, and you have your answer.

And by the way, if such conversions come often in your work, you may like to memorise them rather than derive them every time. It will save time.

Likes LT72884
I would never have done this the way that the others have done it here. Here is my approach:
$$P=\frac{\rho g h}{g_c}$$where $$g_c=32.2\ \frac{lb_m}{lb_f}\frac{ft}{sec^2}$$
So, in this problem: $$P=\frac{(41)(32.2)\left(\frac{5.7}{12}\right)}{32.2}=19.48\ \frac{lb_f}{ft^2} =0.1352\ psi$$
1 atm = 14.7 psi
So, P = 0.0092 atm = 6.99 mm Hg

I guess sometimes it helps to have a lifetime of experience with Imperial units.

Last edited:
Likes scottdave and LT72884
@Chestermiller Yup, there is no way i would have known to do it that way haha. i have seen the gc number before but never used it.

How did you go from 19.48lbf to 0.13psi?

@Wrichik Basu Yeah, I am going to have to mezmorize those numbers. they were not in my book. To be honest, i like metric better than what we use here in the USA.

thanks to all:)

Likes Wrichik Basu
LT72884 said:
@Chestermiller Yup, there is no way i would have known to do it that way haha. i have seen the gc number before but never used it.

How did you go from 19.48lbf to 0.13psi?
That's ##19.48 \frac{lb_f}{ft^2}##, not ##19.48\ lb_f##. There are 144 in^2 in a square ft, so if I divide by 144, I get ##0.13 \frac{lb_f}{in^2}=0.13\ psi##.

Likes LT72884
Chestermiller said:
That's ##19.48 \frac{lb_f}{ft^2}##, not ##19.48\ lb_f##. There are 144 in^2 in a square ft, so if I divide by 144, I get ##0.13 \frac{lb_f}{in^2}=0.13\ psi##.
OH MY GOODNESS. I do not know why i didnt catch that hahahahaha.

thanks for helping me see the obvious:)

1. How do you convert pounds per cubic foot (lb/ft^3) to kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3)?

To convert from lb/ft^3 to kg/m^3, you need to multiply the value in lb/ft^3 by 16.01846. This is because 1 lb/ft^3 is equal to 16.01846 kg/m^3.

2. What is the formula for converting lb/ft^3 to kg/m^3?

The formula for converting lb/ft^3 to kg/m^3 is: kg/m^3 = lb/ft^3 x 16.01846.

3. Can you provide an example of converting lb/ft^3 to kg/m^3?

Let's say we have a value of 10 lb/ft^3. To convert this to kg/m^3, we would multiply 10 by 16.01846, which gives us 160.1846 kg/m^3.

4. Why is it important to convert between lb/ft^3 and kg/m^3?

Converting between these units is important when working with different measurement systems or when communicating with others who may use different units. It ensures that everyone is using the same unit of measurement, making it easier to compare and analyze data.

5. Are there any other units that can be used to measure density besides lb/ft^3 and kg/m^3?

Yes, there are many other units that can be used to measure density, such as g/cm^3, lb/in^3, and oz/in^3. It is important to pay attention to the units being used and convert as needed for accurate measurements and comparisons.