Converting MPH to Light years/century

• Thread starter rkennedy9064
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of converting a spaceship's speed from miles per hour to light-years per century. The formula for a light-year is mentioned and the person is having trouble with the conversion. They ask for help but no one responds. The solution is suggested to be a simple conversion from miles per hour to centimeters per nanosecond.
rkennedy9064

Homework Statement

A certain spaceship has a speed of 12400 mi/hr. What is its speed in light-years/century? A light-year is the distance that light travels in one year with a speed of 186,000 mi/s.

Homework Equations

A light-year is the distance that light travels in one year with a speed of 186,000 mi/s.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having some trouble figuring out how to do this problem. The homework is submitted online so I can't tell if I'm doing the problem completley wrong or if my answer is off by a little bit. Can anyone help me figure this out? Don't you just have to convert mph to light years and then multiply that by how much time is in a century?

Physics news on Phys.org
no attempt, no help!

by the way its nothing different than converting the given speed to centimeter/nanosecond. simple conversion.

1. How do you convert MPH to light years/century?

To convert from MPH (miles per hour) to light years/century, you need to use the following formula: 1 mile per hour = 0.000000000000000105702 light years per century. This means that for every 1 MPH, there are 0.000000000000000105702 light years traveled in a century.

2. Why would someone need to convert MPH to light years/century?

Converting MPH to light years/century is helpful when trying to understand astronomical distances and timeframes. Light years are a unit of measurement used to describe the distance that light travels in one year, which is approximately 5.88 trillion miles. This unit is often used in astronomy to measure the vast distances between objects in space. Converting to light years/century allows for a better understanding of these distances in terms of human timeframes.

3. Can the conversion factor for MPH to light years/century change?

No, the conversion factor for MPH to light years/century is a constant value and will not change. This is because both MPH and light years/century are fixed units of measurement.

4. Are there any other units that can be used to measure distance in space?

Yes, there are other units of measurement commonly used in astronomy, including astronomical units (AU), parsecs (pc), and kilometers (km). Each unit has its own unique conversion factor to light years/century, and the appropriate unit to use depends on the specific context and scale of the measurement being made.

5. Is there a limit to the distance that can be measured in light years/century?

No, there is no limit to the distance that can be measured in light years/century. This unit of measurement is used to describe the vast distances in space, which can range from a few light years to billions of light years. However, there may be practical limitations to our ability to accurately measure and understand distances on such a large scale.