Converting scientific notation to standard digit numbers

In summary, the conversation is about converting a scientific notation to a standard decimal using a calculator. The correct notation for 1.25^-03 is 1.25 \times 10^{-3} and it does not convert to 0.0125, but rather 0.00125. The possibility of programming a calculator to display numbers without scientific notation is also discussed, with the conclusion that it depends on the specific calculator and may require manual reading.
chestycougth

Homework Statement

I'm trying to convert something like 1.25^-03 into it's standard number composed of standard decimals using a calculator (0.0125) - if you know what I mean.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you say 1.25^-03 I'm guessing you actually mean [itex]1.25 \times 10^{-3}[/itex] ? Also, this does not convert to 0.0125. Almost, but not quite right. Think how many places should the decimal point move?

BruceW said:
When you say 1.25^-03 I'm guessing you actually mean [itex]1.25 \times 10^{-3}[/itex] ? Also, this does not convert to 0.0125. Almost, but not quite right. Think how many places should the decimal point move?

Sorry, i'll give a little more info.
It's a molar mass (chemistry) calculation. In a scientific calculator then it gives me an answer with a variable as shown below:

[itex]Number\ of\ moles = 0.05 * 0.025 = 1.25^{-03} [/itex]

Just I don't like working with scientific notations and would rather read an answer like I get with a pocket calculator:

[itex]Number\ of\ moles = 0.05 * 0.025 = 0.00125 [/itex]

So is it possible to program a calculator to display a number without scientific notation unless the number is so large that it cannot be displayed on the screen without a exponent?

chestycougth said:
Sorry, i'll give a little more info.
It's a molar mass (chemistry) calculation. In a scientific calculator then it gives me an answer with a variable as shown below:

[itex]Number\ of\ moles = 0.05 * 0.025 = 1.25^{-03} [/itex]
It's really [itex]1.25 \times 10^{-3}[/itex] even though the calculator might write the 10 quite small, so maybe this is why you missed it. The number [itex]1.25^{-3}[/itex] is a different thing altogether.

chestycougth said:
So is it possible to program a calculator to display a number without scientific notation unless the number is so large that it cannot be displayed on the screen without a exponent?
It depends on the calculator. You would need to read the manual, which may be online if you google the name of the model of calculator you have. For example, with my calculator, each time I press shift and ENG, it will give an extra 3 places, so in the calculation you mentioned, I would press shift and ENG once, and it would turn the answer into 0.00125

The only problem with this is that you have to press the button after every calculation, to turn it into the 'pocket calculator answer'. But your calculator might be different.

1. How do I convert a number in scientific notation to a standard digit number?

To convert a number from scientific notation to standard digit number, you simply need to move the decimal point to the left or right depending on the exponent. If the exponent is positive, move the decimal point to the right the same number of places as the exponent. If the exponent is negative, move the decimal point to the left the same number of places as the absolute value of the exponent.

2. Can I use a calculator to convert scientific notation to standard digit numbers?

Yes, most calculators have a button or function specifically for converting numbers from scientific notation to standard digit form. Look for a button labeled "SCI" or "EXP" or "EE" and enter the number in scientific notation, followed by the button, and the calculator will automatically convert it to standard digit form.

3. What is the purpose of using scientific notation?

Scientific notation is used to express very large or very small numbers in a more convenient and compact way. It is especially useful in scientific and mathematical calculations where dealing with very large or very small numbers can be cumbersome.

4. How do I know when to use scientific notation?

As a general rule, numbers that are greater than 10^6 (1 million) or less than 10^-6 (0.000001) are typically expressed in scientific notation. However, it ultimately depends on the context and purpose of the number. If the number is being used in a scientific or mathematical calculation, it is often better to use scientific notation regardless of its size.

5. Can I convert a number in standard digit form to scientific notation?

Yes, you can convert a standard digit number to scientific notation by moving the decimal point to the left or right until it is between 1 and 10, and then counting the number of places you moved the decimal. This number will become the exponent. If the decimal was moved to the left, the exponent will be negative. If the decimal was moved to the right, the exponent will be positive.