1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting Slugs to Newtons

1. Oct 7, 2004 #1
    I am working a Physics problem where the mass is given as 20 slugs. To obtain Newtons can I just multiply 20 slugs x (14.59 kg/1 slug) x 9.80 m/s^2 = 2859.64N?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right ! :smile:

Make sure it is the mass that is described as 20 slugs, because slug is also a unit of force itself !! :eek:

4. Oct 7, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Careful. Since a slug is a unit of mass, not force, you can't "convert" slugs to newtons. But if you are trying to find the weight of a 20 slug mass, then you are fine. (Your conversion of slugs to kilograms is correct.)

5. Oct 7, 2004 #4
    So is the mass of a slug 1lb.? And if so, to obtain (mass x gravity) in the U.S. Customary System would it just be 1 x 32 ft/sec^2 to obtain its weight?

6. Oct 7, 2004 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

In the "British Engineering" System, the unit of mass is the slug and the unit of force is the pound. (Yes, sometimes the pound is also used as a unit of mass--but in my opinion, this is a bad idea in a physics course. 1 pound mass = 0.45359237 kg) The weight of a 1 slug mass is given by W=mg = (1 slug) (32 ft/s^2) = 32 pounds (approximately) as you noted.

7. Oct 7, 2004 #6
    Thank you. It's very confusing but your last explination worked and resulted in a correct answer. I hate it when I get the Free body diagrams right, setting up the 2 equations with two unknowns right, and missing the correct answer due to conversion errors. Again...thank you for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?