Converting Slugs to Newtons: A Quick Guide for Solving Physics Problems

• Thread starter Mitchell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Newtons
In summary, the conversation discusses converting a mass given in slugs to Newtons using the conversion factor of 14.59 kg/1 slug and gravity of 9.80 m/s^2. It also mentions the difference between slug as a unit of mass and force, and the correct way to calculate the weight of a mass given in slugs in the U.S. Customary System.
Mitchell
I am working a Physics problem where the mass is given as 20 slugs. To obtain Newtons can I just multiply 20 slugs x (14.59 kg/1 slug) x 9.80 m/s^2 = 2859.64N?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's right ! :smile:

Make sure it is the mass that is described as 20 slugs, because slug is also a unit of force itself ! :eek:

Careful. Since a slug is a unit of mass, not force, you can't "convert" slugs to Newtons. But if you are trying to find the weight of a 20 slug mass, then you are fine. (Your conversion of slugs to kilograms is correct.)

So is the mass of a slug 1lb.? And if so, to obtain (mass x gravity) in the U.S. Customary System would it just be 1 x 32 ft/sec^2 to obtain its weight?

Mitchell said:
So is the mass of a slug 1lb.? And if so, to obtain (mass x gravity) in the U.S. Customary System would it just be 1 x 32 ft/sec^2 to obtain its weight?
In the "British Engineering" System, the unit of mass is the slug and the unit of force is the pound. (Yes, sometimes the pound is also used as a unit of mass--but in my opinion, this is a bad idea in a physics course. 1 pound mass = 0.45359237 kg) The weight of a 1 slug mass is given by W=mg = (1 slug) (32 ft/s^2) = 32 pounds (approximately) as you noted.

Thank you. It's very confusing but your last explination worked and resulted in a correct answer. I hate it when I get the Free body diagrams right, setting up the 2 equations with two unknowns right, and missing the correct answer due to conversion errors. Again...thank you for your help.

1. What is the formula for converting slugs to newtons?

The formula for converting slugs to newtons is: 1 slug = 14.5939 newtons.

2. Why do we need to convert slugs to newtons?

Slugs and newtons are different units of measurement for mass. Slugs are used in the English system while newtons are used in the metric system. Converting between the two allows for easier comparison and calculation of mass.

3. Can you convert newtons to slugs using the same formula?

Yes, you can convert newtons to slugs using the formula: 1 newton = 0.068521 slugs.

4. What is a slug and what is a newton?

A slug is a unit of measurement for mass in the English system, equivalent to approximately 14.5 kilograms. A newton is a unit of measurement for force in the metric system, equivalent to approximately 0.1 kilograms times meters per second squared.

5. Is it possible to have a negative value when converting slugs to newtons?

No, it is not possible to have a negative value when converting slugs to newtons. Both units are used for measuring mass, which is a scalar quantity and cannot be negative. If the value is negative, it is likely due to an error in the calculation or conversion.