Deposit Thicker Copper on Glass with DIY Electrode Cooling

In summary, the speaker wanted to deposit thicker layers of copper on glass using their deposition system, but realized that the electrodes would not be able to withstand the heat. To solve this problem, they came up with a simple and inexpensive solution of circulating cold water through the electrodes. The speaker also shared pictures of their setup and mentioned using it successfully to create thick layers of copper on glass.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I wanted to deposit thicker layers of copper on glass with the deposition system I put together, meaning I would need to keep current flowing through the tungsten heating element longer. But with 70 or 80 amps @5 volts, the electrodes wouldn't be able to survive the heat generated. So my solution was, circulate cold water through them. Very simple and cheap. One small cut-down styrofoam cooler, small metal "pot" ~2 1/2 cups, some plastic tubing, a small fountain pump, and ice. Here's a couple of pictures; the electrodes being cooled and the circulating water chiller.

electrodes.jpg

chiller.jpg

Attachments

• electrodes.jpg
    electrodes.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 334
  • chiller.jpg
    chiller.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 531
Likes wirenut, jim hardy, anorlunda and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you're making moonshine to me... :biggrin:

berkeman said:
Looks like you're making moonshine to me... :biggrin:
I'll drink to that!
smiley27.jpg

BTW: This thing works really well. I've been able to deposit really thick layers of copper on glass now.

Attachments

• smiley27.jpg
    smiley27.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 323
Likes berkeman
Yes, flux capacitors do need a pretty thick layer of copper.
any chance of showing the pictures of the deLorean out back.

Likes dlgoff, Tom.G and berkeman

What is the purpose of depositing thicker copper on glass with DIY electrode cooling?

The purpose of depositing thicker copper on glass with DIY electrode cooling is to create a conductive surface on the glass. This can be useful for various applications, such as creating electronic circuits or improving the conductivity of glass for solar panels.

How does DIY electrode cooling work?

DIY electrode cooling involves using a cooling system, such as a water bath or a Peltier device, to lower the temperature of the electrode during the electroplating process. This helps to control the deposition rate and create a thicker layer of copper on the glass surface.

What materials are needed for depositing thicker copper on glass with DIY electrode cooling?

To deposit thicker copper on glass with DIY electrode cooling, you will need a glass substrate, a copper electrode, a cooling system, a power supply, and an electrolyte solution. You may also need additional materials depending on the specific method you are using.

Is it possible to deposit thicker copper on any type of glass?

Yes, it is possible to deposit thicker copper on most types of glass. However, the success of the process may depend on the composition and surface properties of the glass. It is recommended to test a small area before attempting to deposit thicker copper on a larger surface.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using DIY electrode cooling?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when using DIY electrode cooling. Make sure to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, and follow all safety guidelines for handling the materials and equipment. Be sure to also properly dispose of any chemicals or materials used in the process.