What color will the final product of the copper nitrate reaction be?

In summary, the chemical equation Cu(NO3)2(aq) + 2 NaOH(aq) → Cu(OH)2(s) + 2 NaNO3(aq) represents a reaction that will take place in a chemistry lab. The product, copper hydroxide, is blue in color, as is the reactant, cupric nitrate. To determine if all the cupric nitrate has reacted, the filtrate should be checked for complete clarity after filtering off the insoluble copper hydroxide. Sodium nitrate, also present in the reaction, is highly soluble in water. To confirm the presence of copper hydroxide, a small amount of ammonium hydroxide can be added to the precipitate
zaddyzad
Cu(NO3)2(aq) + 2 NaOH(aq) → Cu(OH)2(s) + 2 NaNO3(aq)

This is a chemical reaction I'll be doing soon for my chemistry lab.
And I was wondering, since the product is blue, and as is the reactant, how can I tell I've used up all the cupric nitrate and it has all reacted?

Note: and the NaNO3 is aqueous correct ?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The copper hydroxide is insoluble and will precipitate from the solution.

After you filter it off, check that the filtrate is completely clear. If not, then there is still copper in solution, so the reaction isn't complete.

Yes, sodium nitrate is highly soluble in water.

If you remove the Cu hydroxide by filtration or decanting the reaction mix and washing, try adding a little ammonium hydroxide (household "Ammonia") to the precipitate. The result should be very colorful.

1. What is the chemical formula for copper nitrate?

The chemical formula for copper nitrate is Cu(NO3)2.

2. What happens when copper nitrate reacts with water?

When copper nitrate reacts with water, it forms copper nitrate hydrate (Cu(NO3)2·xH2O) and releases heat. This reaction is exothermic.

3. What are the products of the reaction between copper nitrate and sodium hydroxide?

The products of this reaction are copper hydroxide (Cu(OH)2) and sodium nitrate (NaNO3).

4. Is the reaction between copper nitrate and sulfuric acid a single or double displacement reaction?

The reaction between copper nitrate and sulfuric acid is a double displacement reaction. Cu(NO3)2 + H2SO4 → CuSO4 + 2HNO3

5. What are some common uses of copper nitrate?

Copper nitrate is commonly used as a catalyst in organic reactions, as a mordant in textile dyeing, and as a component in fertilizers and fireworks. It is also used in the production of copper pigments and in the preservation of wood.