Legal Advice on Copyright for FIRST Robotics Pictures

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
In summary, Greetings, You are getting grief from people on a forum about a new website you have created. The website is for www.quantumninja.com/firstpictures which is a history of pictures of robots through the years of the FIRST competition. The website includes pictures taken from www.firstrobotics.net. The person on www.firstrobotics.net got the pictures by taking them, having people sent them to him, and by taking them off other sources like the website you are using. You have included credit on your homepage to www.firstrobotics.net. You were wondering if
Tom McCurdy
Greetings, I know its been awhile but I am in need of some legal advice...

I am getting a lot of grief from people on a forum about a new website I have created. It is for www.quantumninja.com/firstpictures It is a history of pictures of robots through the years of the FIRST competition. I made the site by taking all the pictures off www.firstrobotics.net and putting them on the site. The person on firstrobotics.net got the pictures by taking them, having people sent them to him, and by taking them off other sources like I am. I have includded credit on my homepage to firstrobotics.net. I was wondering am I in any kind of copyright danger?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could be. You still needed to get permission to use photos taken by someone else, even if you give them credit. Since you say you took ALL the photos from the other site, that makes it more blatant as a copyright infringement. You still could be in trouble if it was only one or two pictures, but might not have been bothered over it. Since it doesn't sound like an educational site, but a hobby site, you can't even claim educational fair use. I'd suggest you take them down and get written permission from the photographer to post them with appropriate credits (and a link to the original site if they ask) before putting them back up.

I think what Tom meant was that the site he took the pictures from gathered them from other sources and do not own the copyrights to the pictures either. This still does not make it legal to use the pictures as someone could still hold copyrights to them.

yeah... its kinda what evo said...

It is for educational use though... USFIRST is a high school robotics competition

does that make a difference?

Tom McCurdy said:
yeah... its kinda what evo said...

It is for educational use though... USFIRST is a high school robotics competition

does that make a difference?

Providing photographs from the competition still wouldn't count as educational, even if the competition itself is. Copyright laws include a fair use clause that allows you to use a reasonable amount of copyrighted material for educational purposes (I can go to the library and photocopy a journal article for my research, but I can't photocopy an entire book and hand it out to my class to save them the cost of buying textbooks).

You would need permission from each photographer to use their photographs. If the person running the site you are taking them from took the pictures, you can get permission from them. If you don't know the source, then safer not to use them. Getting material posted from a site already infringing on someone's copyrights doesn't exempt you from the same laws.

Thank you for the clarification

1. What is copyright?

Copyright is a legal concept that grants the creator of an original work the exclusive right to control how the work is used and distributed. This includes pictures, videos, and other forms of media.

2. How does copyright apply to FIRST Robotics pictures?

FIRST Robotics pictures are considered original works and therefore are subject to copyright. This means that the creator of the picture holds the exclusive rights to control the use and distribution of the picture.

3. What is fair use and how does it apply to FIRST Robotics pictures?

Fair use is a legal principle that allows for the limited use of copyrighted material without permission from the creator. This includes using FIRST Robotics pictures for educational or news reporting purposes. However, the extent of fair use can vary and it is important to consult with a legal professional for specific cases.

4. Can I use FIRST Robotics pictures without permission from the creator?

No, you should always seek permission from the creator before using their pictures. Using FIRST Robotics pictures without permission can be considered copyright infringement and could result in legal action.

5. What are the consequences of using FIRST Robotics pictures without permission?

The consequences of using FIRST Robotics pictures without permission can include legal action, such as a cease and desist letter or a lawsuit, and potential fines or damages. It is important to always obtain proper permission and give credit to the creator when using their pictures to avoid any legal issues.