Coriolis Force, Motion of projectile

In summary, the conversation discusses the Coriolis force and its relationship to the Earth's rotation and latitude. The speaker wonders why the differential equations used in Fowles's book do not take into account changes in latitude, and questions whether this is a mistake or a misconception. The other participant explains that the total Coriolis force is not affected by latitude, but the component related to movement parallel to the surface does vary with latitude. The conversation also mentions an interesting article on the history of the Coriolis phenomenon.
jiho.j
I've been wonder something about coriolis force.

Well... when we consider motion of projectile on earth, we have to consider coriolis force due to Earth's rotation and we know that coriolis force varies with latitude.

In the book (fowles's) they set differential equation and just integrate them without considering latitude change. well... I mean I think latitude varies when particle is moving. But why they are not consider it? can we just ignore it? or is it my misconception?

sorry for my english. English is not my mother tounge

Physics news on Phys.org
jiho.j said:
we know that coriolis force varies with latitude.
The component parallel to the surface, related to movement parallel to the surface varies with latitude.

The total coriolis force related to the total movement doesn't depend on the latitude.

1. What is the Coriolis force?

The Coriolis force is an inertial force that appears to act on objects that are in motion relative to a rotating reference frame. It is caused by the rotation of the Earth and affects the motion of objects such as projectiles and winds.

2. How does the Coriolis force affect the motion of projectiles?

The Coriolis force causes projectiles to deflect to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere. This is due to the Earth's rotation causing a difference in linear velocity between the surface and higher altitudes.

3. Does the Coriolis force affect all types of projectiles?

Yes, the Coriolis force affects all types of projectiles, whether they are thrown, launched, or fired from a moving platform. The only requirement is that the projectile must have a horizontal component of motion.

4. Can the Coriolis force be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Coriolis force can be observed in everyday life, particularly in the movement of large-scale weather systems. It is also responsible for the rotation direction of hurricanes in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres.

5. How does the Coriolis force impact long-range shooting?

The Coriolis force must be taken into account when aiming at long distances, as it can cause a significant deviation in the trajectory of the projectile. This is particularly important for snipers and artillery units who need to make precise long-range shots.