Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Correcting Speed Value

1. Mar 29, 2008 #1
    what does this mean. I am performing an experiment on an air track with a cart that experiences significant air resistance. For this experiment i think i need to assume it goes at a constant speed. I am supposed to design a method that will allow me to calculate a corrected value with 2 photogates. but i have no idea how to do this because i have no idea what a corrected value is or HOW to obtain it. Any insight into this would be very helpful.

I was thiking of measuring time to pass Photogate A and B at different points to get the speeds at the point and plotting for diff distances to get the deacceleration but then how to i get the corrected value

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2008 #2

neu

I'm not sure what you mean. You say the cart experiences significant air resistance but then you say you need to assume it goes at constant speed.

I presume you mean Newton's first law, that, unperturbed, a body will continue in uniform motion.

In your case the air resistance is the perturbation, and I think by a corrected speed value you mean it's speed if there was no air resistance.

Is this correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?