Correcting Speed Value

• Thread starter Starcrafty
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

what does this mean. I am performing an experiment on an air track with a cart that experiences significant air resistance. For this experiment i think i need to assume it goes at a constant speed. I am supposed to design a method that will allow me to calculate a corrected value with 2 photogates. but i have no idea how to do this because i have no idea what a corrected value is or HOW to obtain it. Any insight into this would be very helpful.

I was thiking of measuring time to pass Photogate A and B at different points to get the speeds at the point and plotting for diff distances to get the deacceleration but then how to i get the corrected value

Answers and Replies

neu
I'm not sure what you mean. You say the cart experiences significant air resistance but then you say you need to assume it goes at constant speed.

I presume you mean Newton's first law, that, unperturbed, a body will continue in uniform motion.

In your case the air resistance is the perturbation, and I think by a corrected speed value you mean it's speed if there was no air resistance.

Is this correct?