Corresponding Energy Levels for Normalised Eigenfunctions

In summary: En. Got it!In summary, the problem is asking for the corresponding energy levels of a particle of mass m in a 1D infinite square well, given the normalised energy eigenfunction. The energy levels can be obtained by applying the Hamiltonian operator to the eigenfunction and equating it to the formula for energy level in an infinite well. This allows for the computation of energy levels without relying on a formula from notes or textbooks.
Ryomega

Homework Statement

Particle of mass m in a 1D infinite square well is confined between 0 ≤ x ≤ a

Given that the normalised energy eigenfunction of the system is:

Un(x) = ([itex]\frac{2}{a}[/itex])[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] sin ([itex]\frac{nx\pi}{a}[/itex])

where n = 1, 2, 3...

what are the corresponding energy levels?

Homework Equations

Normalisation: 1 = [itex]\int[/itex] lψl2 dx (from negative to positive infinity)

Energy Level for infinite well: En = [itex]\frac{h^2}{2m}[/itex] ([itex]\frac{n}{2a}[/itex])2

Where h = reduced Planck constant (sorry couldn't find it)

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought, I could just plug in 1, 2, 3 in Un(x)
But then I realized the question said that Un(x) is normalised.
Does this mean I have to reverse normalise Un(x)? If so, is this order right?

Make Un(x) = 1
Differentiate ([itex]\frac{2}{a}[/itex])[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] sin ([itex]\frac{nx\pi}{a}[/itex])
Then square root whatever the result.

Am I going in the right direction or am I missing something out?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have to unnormalize the wavefunction. You already have the answer in the [itex]E_n[/itex]. The intent of the problem is for you to compute [itex]E_n[/itex] from just the wavefunction and the Hamiltonian, instead of just taking the formula from your notes or book.

In other words, remember that
[tex]\hat H |U_n \rangle = E_n |U_n \rangle[/tex]

Because, well, that's the basic content of the time-independent Schrodinger equation.

oh... lol. That's simple enough!

So basically apply the hamiltonian to Un(x)

1. What are corresponding energy levels for normalised eigenfunctions?

Corresponding energy levels for normalised eigenfunctions refer to the specific energy values associated with an eigenfunction in a quantum mechanical system. These energy levels are unique to each eigenfunction and represent the different states or levels that an electron can occupy within the system.

2. How do normalised eigenfunctions relate to energy levels?

Normalised eigenfunctions are mathematical functions that describe the energy states of a quantum mechanical system. These functions are used to calculate the corresponding energy levels, as each eigenfunction has a specific energy value associated with it.

3. Why is it important to consider normalised eigenfunctions when studying energy levels?

Normalised eigenfunctions are important in quantum mechanics because they provide a mathematical representation of the allowed energy states within a system. By studying these functions and their corresponding energy levels, scientists can gain a better understanding of the behavior and properties of particles in a given system.

4. How are normalised eigenfunctions calculated?

Normalised eigenfunctions are calculated using mathematical equations that involve the wave function, potential energy, and other variables. These equations are solved using techniques such as the Schrödinger equation to determine the allowed energy states within a system.

5. Can normalised eigenfunctions be observed in experiments?

No, normalised eigenfunctions cannot be directly observed in experiments. They are purely mathematical representations of the energy states within a quantum mechanical system. However, their corresponding energy levels can be observed and measured in experiments, providing evidence for the accuracy of these functions.