Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosmic inflation and singularity

1. Apr 28, 2014 #1
    "Cosmic inflation" and singularity

Hi.

I saw this on Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_the_universe#Planck_epoch

Later:

If there was no "traditional Big Bang" with inflationary cosmology, would this remove the singularity at the beginning of the universe? If so, then what is all the hubbub about using quantum gravity and so forth to resolve this "singularity"? Hasn't "inflation" theory been a mainstream component of the standard picture of cosmology for a while now? If not, does that mean the singularity still existed, just further back in time? Note that in that previous quote it says with regard to the Planck epoch that "similar conditions may have prevailed in a pre-inflationary era of the universe" -- could this be it, or something 'close' to the supposed singularity that needs "resolving"? However, it only says "may" -- could it be that they didn't, and there was no singularity ever ever, and so it's resolved right there, just like that?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2014 #2

bapowell

Science Advisor

It is expected that even inflationary spacetimes are not past-eternal, i.e. there is still an initial singularity to contend with. See: http://arxiv.org/abs/grqc/0110012

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  4. Apr 29, 2014 #3
    So then there'd ultimately be a "real Big Bang" some unknown time interval before the point marked "end of inflation"? How far back could it be, anyways?

5. Apr 29, 2014 #4

bapowell

Science Advisor

Sure, or if not a real big bang, some other sort of quantum cosmological genesis event. I don't know how far back it could be...my suspicion is "quite far".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook