Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosmology Literature

1. Sep 30, 2006 #1
    Hello, I am a non-science student with a huge interest in cosmology and modern physics. I've read Micheal Greene's "Elegant Universe" and "Fabric of the Cosmos" a couple of times, and I loved them. What else do you recommend? (I know about Stephen Hawking's 2 books, and I hope to read them sometime soon). Anyone else have any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2006 #2
    How much math can you handle?

4. Sep 30, 2006 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The paperback novel-type books really aren't going to teach you much. At most, they're going to be good entertainment. If you really want to study cosmology, you should look into university-level textbooks on the subject.

- Warren

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  5. Sep 30, 2006 #4
    Gravity from the Ground Up by Bernard Schutz. I have just flipped through the book, and I think it was written mainly for people whose strong point is not differential geometry but who have not forgotten their high-school non-calculus maths. Of course, cosmology forms only a part of the book, general relativity being the main theme.

6. Oct 1, 2006 #5

hellfire

Science Advisor

Take look to the threads in the subforum Book Reviews, in Career & Academic Guidance. A very interesting book, without formulas but very accurate, is Steven Weinberg's "The First Three Minutes: A Modern View of the Origin of the Universe".

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  7. Oct 2, 2006 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A good compromise is Cosmology, by Edward Harrison.

This book, in places, uses a little elementary calculus.

8. Oct 2, 2006 #7
    I've written some cosmology related articles on my website, and have made lists of suggested reading to accompany them. These can be found at Stretchy space and Cosmological Horizons

9. Oct 3, 2006 #8

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I like pedagogical treatments of extraordinarily difficult subjects, like cosmology. I agree you have to learn a great deal of math to grasp the deep issues, but, the popular press is a great way to capture the attention of kids who will someday take it to the next level.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?