Science Advisor
- 6,735
- 2,438
peter0302 said:Well, I do wear an aluminum foil helmet when I go outside...
And that will protect you from?...
peter0302 said:Well, I do wear an aluminum foil helmet when I go outside...
ZapperZ said:What about the arrogance of someone who seems to think that he/she can already decide on certain issues without knowing not only the subject matter, but all the facts? How come "arrogance" is only a characteristics inflicted on scientists but not on an ignorant public that have no problem in arriving at a faulty decision? What makes them so immune to such behavior?
Zz.
Because the people with the power are the people with the responsibility. The burden is on them to convince the powerless public that they are doing the right thing and are not putting them in danger. Because it is the scientists who are playing with the fundamental forces of nature, not the "ignorant publc." The public just go about living their lives remembering how many times they've been screwed over by everyone from doctors to politicians to corporate leaders, and yes, by the physicists who nearly brought about the end of the world with at least one technology, and are understandably afraid.ZapperZ said:What about the arrogance of someone who seems to think that he/she can already decide on certain issues without knowing not only the subject matter, but all the facts? How come "arrogance" is only a characteristics inflicted on scientists but not on an ignorant public that have no problem in arriving at a faulty decision? What makes them so immune to such behavior?
peter0302 said:... I cannot abide anyone dismissing the fears of the general public who cannot be expected to know any better ...
This is true. Nobody has argued the contrary, so it sounds defensive and is needless for you to bring it up.peter0302 said:Scientists are more educated than [the laymen], but scientists are not better than [them] ...
This is a place of science.peter0302 said:Genesis says the world was made in seven days.
Right. Importantly, fundamental physics research is NOT about making money OR winning politics.malawi_glenn said:... It's all politics and money.
peter0302 said:. But I cannot abide anyone dismissing the fears of the general public who cannot be expected to know any better, especially given the damage to the planet and to human health that has been done in the name of science and progress.
Yes, this is happening. I mean, the public forget or never hears about thousands of lives saved by doctors everyday, but they will sue the doctor when it happens once a year and talk about it for years. It's the same thing happening here : a distorted perception of reality.peter0302 said:The public just go about living their lives remembering how many times they've been screwed over by everyone from doctors
ZapperZ said:Yet, by your presence here in the electronic world, you have benefited from these scientists' "arrogance", i.e. the sole pursuit of knowledge.
The FACT that there have been SEVERAL careful studies of the safety issues on the LHC is ample proof that, more than anything else, there have been NO arrogance on any part. If these people are that arrogant, they would simply dismiss such issues as nonsense and simply ignore such thing. Yet, they didn't! Is this the sign of arrogance?
What is arrogance is to impose judgment on a group of people on a subject matter that one only has a superficial knowledge of. It is utterly disrespectful that one can simply accuse these people of being arrogant without understanding even one bit about the issues and the physics that is involved, even when they have done effort after effort to explain why there is nothing to be concerned of. I have no idea how much more they could have done!
If we always have to worry about what would happen, you'll never get any of the electronics and the conveniences that you take for granted today. Don't believe me? Next time you look at the semiconductor in your electronics, ask about the risk on the use of arsenic as a dopant in these material. Or shall I tell you how toxic other materials are that are used in your PC? Did you ask for the safety analysis of the plant that produces these things?
Zz.
enmerkar said:It's not the machinery I am "affraid" of. In weeks the proton accelerator will be impacting protons with incredible momentum. I see the disingenuous compairisons to high energy gama ray interactions at our upper atmosphere. Please compair apples to apples not apples to acorns. when up to par the LHC will be colliding protons in opposite directions to reveal in theory quark-quark interactions. to make an analogy we have to have honest compairisons with confident susceptibility. should MBH be produced don't just speak of one as though it has no possible interaction with the many other MBH that may be produced simultaneously. there may be correlations that quantum mechanics has not uncovered yet. I am certain that there will be correlations existent with multiple singularities in the these Fields. There are of course other concerns all of which give concern.
gendou2 said:Motion to lock or move this thread. There's no convincing people who aren't open to listening.
SorinK said:Hi.
"Any microscopic black holes produced at the LHC are expected to decay by
Hawking radiation before they reach the detector walls."
Expected does not mean WILL decay.
What if does not decay?!
The Sun is expected to rise tomorrow morning. Nothing is certain in this world (c.f. Einstein quotation on being certain of the infinitude of the Universe).SorinK said:Expected does not mean WILL decay.
peter0302 said:Yes, I think that article is excellent and I think that is the type of point-by-point analysis that should be employed to determine beyond all doubt that there are no safety concerns.
To answer your first question, I'll give a small list, even though I think my point should be self-evident:
1) Many "scientists" said global warming was baloney. We all now know better.
2) Many "scientists" said nuclear winter was baloney. Carl Sagan managed to convince us otherwise thank heavens.
3) Many "scientists" said it was safe for soldiers to observe above-ground nuclear tests, or to have above-ground tests period.
4) Many "scientists" at drug companies and at the FDA have countless times told us drugs are safe for us to later find out they're not
6) "Scientists" used to believe in bleeding people to keep them alive
7) "Scientists" used to tell us smoking was safe
8) "Scientists" used to tell pregnant women to drink wine
I certainly prefer not to name names.malawi_glenn said:Can you address those people?
gendou2 said:What if gravity turns off an we all fly into space? It could happen. After all, gravity is just a theory. I find both about equally likely.
malawi_glenn said:That was the lamest answer I've ever seen.
http://library.thinkquest.org/C007571/english/advance/core8.htm
So it will acquire mass by eating on the detector, getting longer and longer lifetime and then eventually eat the Earth :-)
But maybe an expert on black holes should answer, I have only done introductory courses on general relativity.
gendou2 said:I certainly prefer not to name names.
The lion's share of the debate is about the trustworthiness of scientists as a group.
This is a silly thing to argue about.
Black holes are interesting, to me.
Radically skeptical arguments are not.
When someone obsesses over "what if" scenarios, they are being radically skeptical of the safety we all take for granted, for example.malawi_glenn said:So what is a radicall skeptical argument?
gendou2 said:I was being ironic. Didn't you notice?
My intention is to expose how silly the radical skeptics are.
gendou2 said:When someone obsesses over "what if" scenarios, they are being radically skeptical of the safety we all take for granted, for example.
malawi_glenn said:It is your own behaviour that makes this thread flip out. You are self contributing to the nonsense beeing posted here. So if you know a lot of black holes, write about it, if not, be quite.