Coulomb's law hw question,

In summary, the magnitude of the net force on charge q2 due to q1 is 28.8 N and the force will attract. The magnitude and direction of the electric field at a point located 5 cm directly below charge q1 can be calculated by summing the components of the electric field of q1 and q2 and using trigonometry to determine the direction. This same process can be used to find the magnitude of the electric potential at the same point.
emuhlay08
q1= 2microC and q2=-4microC they are on a straight line 5.0 cm away from each other.

a)find the magnitude of the net force on charge q2 due to q1
b) in what direction will the net force acting on charge q2 due to q1 be directed
c)what is the magnitude and direction of the electric field at a point located 5 cm directly below charge q1
d)what is the magnitude of the electric potential located 5 cm directly below charge q1

I'm confused on what to do for only two points. Any help is appreciated and please explain so I can try to get an understanding

for A) i got 28.8 N and B) the forces will attract. not sure if those are correct

Physics news on Phys.org
a) Looks fine.

b) Indeed the forces attract. On a free body diagram, which way would the force ##\vec F_{12}## point, given an arbitrary coordinate axis placed at ##q_1##?

c) How do you calculate the electric field at a point, due to a point charge? Hint: Draw a free body diagram for this.

Last edited:
Zondrina said:
a) Looks fine.

b) Indeed the forces attract. On a free body diagram, which way would the force ##\vec F_{12}## point, given an arbitrary coordinate axis placed at ##q_1##?

c) How do you calculate the electric field at a point, due to a point charge? Hint: Draw a free body diagram for this.

This is what I came up with, it doesn't seem correct to me, but I'm not sure where I went wrong

Attachments

• IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 383
emuhlay08 said:
This is what I came up with, it doesn't seem correct to me, but I'm not sure where I went wrong

You need to sum the components of the electric field of ##\vec E_1## and ##\vec E_2##.

What about the direction? Draw ##\vec E_{net_x}## and ##\vec E_{net_y}## head to tail and apply ##tan(\theta) = \frac{E_{net_y}}{E_{net_x}}##.

d) Same deal as c) pretty much, except potential is used instead of the electric field.

For this problem, we can use Coulomb's law, which states that the magnitude of the force between two point charges is given by F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant (9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges, and r is the distance between them.

a) To find the magnitude of the net force on charge q2 due to q1, we can simply plug in the values given into the Coulomb's law equation. So, we have F = (9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2)(2x10^-6 C)(-4x10^-6 C)/(0.05 m)^2 = -28.8 N. The negative sign indicates that the forces are attractive.

b) Since the net force is attractive, it will be directed towards q1, which is the direction of the negative charge.

c) To find the electric field at a point located 5 cm directly below charge q1, we can use the equation E = kq/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance between the point and the charge. In this case, we only have one charge, q1, so we can use the magnitude of this charge (2x10^-6 C). So, E = (9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2)(2x10^-6 C)/(0.05 m)^2 = 288 N/C. The direction of the electric field will be towards the negative charge, which is downwards in this case.

d) To find the electric potential at a point located 5 cm directly below charge q1, we can use the equation V = kq/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance between the point and the charge. So, V = (9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2)(2x10^-6 C)/(0.05 m) = 360 V. The direction of the electric potential will be towards the negative charge, which is downwards in this case.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that describes the relationship between electric charges and the force between them. It states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is the equation for Coulomb's Law?

The equation for Coulomb's Law is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force between the two charges, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the charges, r is the distance between the charges, and k is the Coulomb constant. The value of k is 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2.

3. How is Coulomb's Law related to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation?

Coulomb's Law and Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation are both inverse-square laws that describe the force between two objects. The main difference is that Coulomb's Law deals with electric charges, while Newton's Law deals with masses. Additionally, the force in Coulomb's Law can be either attractive or repulsive, while the force in Newton's Law is always attractive.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the force between more than two charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be extended to calculate the force between multiple charges. In this case, the force on a specific charge would be the vector sum of the forces exerted by all the other charges on it.

5. What are the units of the Coulomb constant, k?

The units of the Coulomb constant, k, are Nm^2/C^2, or in terms of base SI units, kgm^3/C^2s^2. This unit represents the force between two point charges with a distance of 1 meter and charges of 1 Coulomb each.