1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's Law Net Force

1. Oct 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

q1= 6.7 μC
    q2= -4.5 μC
    q3= 2.2 μC
    q4= 2.2 μC
    d= 7.7 cm

What is the x-component of the net force on q1?

2. Relevant equations
    fmla1.gif

3. The attempt at a solution

This is part of an online problem set, and is currently the only question I have not answered correctly. I find it strange because I have approached it the same way as similar problems in the problem set (ex. What is the x-component of the net force on q2?) so I have a hard time understanding where I am going wrong. Perhaps someone can help, so here goes my thought process.

So the obvious one to start with is the force exerted on q1 by q2 since the x-component is the entire force. Plugging in values of q1= 6.7 μC, q2= -4.5 μC and d= 0.077m to the above equation gives a force of -45.258 N. Moving on to the force on q1 by q4. By plugging in q1= 6.7 μC and q2= 2.2 μC with d= 0.077m we get 22.126 N for the entire force. To get the x-component of this force, I then multiplied by cos(60) because it is an equilateral triangle and got an answer of 11.063 N. Since q3=q4 and they are at the same distance from q1 with the same angle, I assumed the x-components of their forces would be the same, so i multiplied by 2 and got back to 22.126 N once again. When adding them all up, I get 22.126 - 45.258 = -23.132 N. SmartPhysics says this is wrong. I disagree! What do you guys think? Have I made a very obvious mistake somewhere along the way?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use symmetry to compare the vertical component of force exerted by q3 to that exerted by q4 .

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook