Why Is My Calculation of the Net Force on q1 Incorrect?

In summary: Use the fact that the net vertical force equals 0 to find the vertical component of force exerted by q3 and q4.In summary, the problem involves finding the x-component of the net force on q1, given the values of q1, q2, q3, q4, and the distance between them. The solution involves calculating the force exerted on q1 by q2 and q4, using the equation for electric force, and then using symmetry to find the vertical components of the forces exerted by q3 and q4. The net vertical force is equal to 0, and the vertical components of the forces exerted by q3 and q4 can be determined by subtracting the vertical component of force
thatonenozz

Homework Statement

q1= 6.7 μC
q2= -4.5 μC
q3= 2.2 μC
q4= 2.2 μC
d= 7.7 cmWhat is the x-component of the net force on q1?

Homework Equations

fmla1.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

This is part of an online problem set, and is currently the only question I have not answered correctly. I find it strange because I have approached it the same way as similar problems in the problem set (ex. What is the x-component of the net force on q2?) so I have a hard time understanding where I am going wrong. Perhaps someone can help, so here goes my thought process.

So the obvious one to start with is the force exerted on q1 by q2 since the x-component is the entire force. Plugging in values of q1= 6.7 μC, q2= -4.5 μC and d= 0.077m to the above equation gives a force of -45.258 N. Moving on to the force on q1 by q4. By plugging in q1= 6.7 μC and q2= 2.2 μC with d= 0.077m we get 22.126 N for the entire force. To get the x-component of this force, I then multiplied by cos(60) because it is an equilateral triangle and got an answer of 11.063 N. Since q3=q4 and they are at the same distance from q1 with the same angle, I assumed the x-components of their forces would be the same, so i multiplied by 2 and got back to 22.126 N once again. When adding them all up, I get 22.126 - 45.258 = -23.132 N. SmartPhysics says this is wrong. I disagree! What do you guys think? Have I made a very obvious mistake somewhere along the way?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
thatonenozz said:

Homework Statement

https://www.smartphysics.com/Content/Media/Images/EM/01/h1_twoD2a.png

q1= 6.7 μC
q2= -4.5 μC
q3= 2.2 μC
q4= 2.2 μC
d= 7.7 cm

What is the x-component of the net force on q1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is part of an online problem set, and is currently the only question I have not answered correctly. I find it strange because I have approached it the same way as similar problems in the problem set (ex. What is the x-component of the net force on q2?) so I have a hard time understanding where I am going wrong. Perhaps someone can help, so here goes my thought process.

So the obvious one to start with is the force exerted on q1 by q2 since the x-component is the entire force. Plugging in values of q1= 6.7 μC, q2= -4.5 μC and d= 0.077m to the above equation gives a force of -45.258 N. Moving on to the force on q1 by q4. By plugging in q1= 6.7 μC and q2= 2.2 μC with d= 0.077m we get 22.126 N for the entire force. To get the x-component of this force, I then multiplied by cos(60) because it is an equilateral triangle and got an answer of 11.063 N. Since q3=q4 and they are at the same distance from q1 with the same angle, I assumed the x-components of their forces would be the same, so i multiplied by 2 and got back to 22.126 N once again. When adding them all up, I get 22.126 - 45.258 = -23.132 N. SmartPhysics says this is wrong. I disagree! What do you guys think? Have I made a very obvious mistake somewhere along the way?
Use symmetry to compare the vertical component of force exerted by q3 to that exerted by q4 .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Coulomb's Law Net Force?

Coulomb's Law Net Force is a fundamental law in physics that describes the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law Net Force calculated?

Coulomb's Law Net Force can be calculated using the formula: F = (k * Q1 * Q2) / r2, where F is the net force, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the unit of Coulomb's Law Net Force?

The unit of Coulomb's Law Net Force is Newtons (N) in the SI system of units, which is equivalent to kg*m/s2.

4. How does the distance affect Coulomb's Law Net Force?

According to Coulomb's Law, the net force between two charged particles decreases as the distance between them increases. This means that the force is strongest when the particles are closer together and weakest when they are further apart.

5. Is Coulomb's Law Net Force applicable to all charged particles?

Yes, Coulomb's Law Net Force is applicable to all charged particles, regardless of their size, shape, or type of charge. This law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electrically charged particles.