Coulombs Law Problem - Find the Force

In summary: Or is it the wrong answer?In summary, to make the electrostatic force between two objects with charges of 2 uC and -2 uC an attractive force with a magnitude of 68 N, 3.8*10^12 electrons must be removed from object A and placed onto object B. This is calculated by setting up the equation F = k(q1 + ex)(q2 - ex) / r^2 and solving for x, the number of electrons.
KatieD
Coulombs Law Problem -- Find the Force

Homework Statement

Two small objects, A and B, are fixed in place and separated by 3 cm in vacuum. Object A has a charge of 2 uC and object B has a change of -2 uC. How many electrons must be removed from A and put onto B to make the electrostatic force that acts on each object an attractive force whose magnitude is 68 N?

We know an electrons charge is 1.60*10^-19 C

Homework Equations

F=kq1q2/r^2 (coulombs law)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve for q (the charge). Since they are both the same I took the square root. Then I divided by the charge of e-. I am out of ideas :(

I can do simple coulombs law problems in this chapter, but the harder ones like this stump me. :((Thanks,
Katie

Physics news on Phys.org

KatieD said:
I tried to solve for q (the charge). Since they are both the same I took the square root Then I divided by the charge of e-.

So after doing this, what is the quantity that you have arrived at? What is q/e?

F = K*Q^2/r^2
68 = (8.99 * 10^9 N * m^2/C^2)(q^2)/(3*10^-2)^2
q=2.6*10^-6 C
e=1.6*10^-19
(2.6*10^-6C)/(1.6*10^-19)=1.63*10^13

the answer in the back is 3.8*10^12

I'm not asking for the number.

I'm saying: if q is the charge, and e is the charge per electron, what does the quantity q/e mean? How does that relate back to what the question wants?

q/e is going to be the number of e. But I guess that would be the number of e- for that charge. So they ask for the e- to change the charge. Would I then find the difference by subtracting from 2 and then dividing by e-?

The question wants x electrons per object.
You just calculated the no. of electrons you need
From the question you can find out how many electrons you had at the start.

Hopefully its obvious enough now?

okay got ya, I just need to take it into consideration with the initial formula
instead of solving for just q I am solving for q+ex

Ok, I can't seem to get the right answer and I don't know where I'm going wrong.

I set the equation up as

F = k(q1 + ex)(q2 - ex) / r^2

where q1 is the positive charge and q2 is the negative charge.

So this works out to

68 = (8.99*10^9)(2*10^-6 + x*1.6*10^-19)(-2*10^-6 - x*1.6*10^-19) / (3*10^-2)^2

but this doesn't lead to the right answer. Where is my set up going wrong?

It does, I've checked. Calculator error somewhere?

Related to Coulombs Law Problem - Find the Force

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How do you calculate the force using Coulomb's Law?

The force between two charged particles can be calculated using the formula F = (k * q1 * q2) / r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the unit of force in Coulomb's Law?

The unit of force in Coulomb's Law is Newton (N). This is because Coulomb's constant (k) has a value of 8.99 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be used for both positive and negative charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law applies to both positive and negative charges. The direction of the force will depend on the signs of the charges - like charges repel each other and opposite charges attract each other.

5. How does distance affect the force in Coulomb's Law?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force decreases. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the force increases.