Solving Coulombs Law Problem: q1, q2, q3, d

In summary, we have two charges, q1 and q2, held a fixed distance d apart. The strength of the electric force acting on q1 is 1.77 N, assuming q1=q2=21.3 micro Coulombs and d=1.52 m. When a third charge q3=21.3 micro Coulombs is brought in and placed as shown, the strength of the electric force on q1 is now 3.07 N. To convert from micro Coulombs to Coulombs, we use the conversion factor of 10^-6. By applying Coulomb's law, we get an electric force of approximately 1.77 N when taking into account both q1 and q2
radtad
Two charges, q1 and q2, are held a fixed distance d apart. a. Find the strength of the electric force that acts on q1. Assume that q1=q2=21.3 micro COulombs and d=1.52 m. b. A third charge q3=21.3 micro COulombs is brought in and placed as shown. Find the stregnth of the electric force on q1 now.
My best attempt at showing the diagrams:
a.
q1----------q2

b.
q1----------q2
__-----------
___--------
____-----
_____q3
b is an equilateral triangle if you can't figure out by the diagram with all sides a distance d. edit: i see the my attemtp at diagrams isn't working too well buts the general idea

I got part a with Fe=1.77 N
I don't know what to do for part b other than its some application of Fe=kq1q2/r^2 . Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Part a looks alright
For part B
Hint:
The net force acting on q1 is the vector sum of the individual forces caused by the other two charges.

Likes jazib lakhani
thanks i think i got it
3.07 N sound about right

yep i got same ting

I have a simple question: how do you convert Micro Coulombs to coulombs? (I couldn't find it on the net)
Once I do that I use

[tex]\frac{\mid q_1q_2\mid}{4(1.52^2)*8.854*10^{-12}*\pi}[/tex]

right?

P.S you did say that q1*q2 was 21.3 mC right?

micro => 10^-6 (has the greek symbo "mu" )
=> 1 micro Coulomb = 10^-6 Coulombs

Last edited:
Thanks, so 21.3 mC = 2.13e-5 C
But what have I done wrong here?

[tex]F=\frac{\mid 2.13*10^{-5}\mid}{4(1.52^2)*8.854*10^{-12}*\pi}[/tex]

[tex]F=\frac{\mid 2.13*10^{-5}\mid}{2.57061216 * 10^{-10}}[/tex]

It doesn't come to 1.77 N lol

look at the equation of coulombs law that you posted... it says q1*q2 but in this case q1=q2... so it should be (2.13E-5)^2
you forgot to include the second charge :wink:

Awsome, my carelessness once again...

[tex]F=\frac{\mid 4.5369*10^{-10}\mid}{2.57061216 * 10^{-10}}\approx1.77 N[/tex]

Thanks

1. How do I calculate the force between two charged particles using Coulomb's Law?

To calculate the force between two charged particles, you will need to use Coulomb's Law which states that the force (F) between two charged particles (q1 and q2) is equal to the product of their charges (q1 and q2), divided by the square of the distance between them (d). This can be represented mathematically as F = (q1 * q2) / d^2.

2. What are the units for the variables in Coulomb's Law equation?

The units for the variables in Coulomb's Law equation are as follows: charge (q) is measured in coulombs (C), distance (d) is measured in meters (m), and force (F) is measured in newtons (N).

3. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the force between more than two charged particles?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be extended to calculate the force between more than two charged particles by simply adding up the individual forces between each pair of particles. The total force would be the sum of all these individual forces.

4. How does the distance between two charged particles affect the force between them?

The distance between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the force between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force decreases and vice versa. So, if the distance between the particles is doubled, the force between them will decrease by a factor of four.

5. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the force between charged particles with non-point charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the force between charged particles with non-point charges. However, it is important to note that the distance (d) used in the equation should be the distance between the centers of the charged objects, and not the distance between the charges themselves.