Coulomb's Law, what charge will make the two charges in static eq.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 20K views
rocapp
Messages
95
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In the figure below the charge in the middle is
Q = -3.7 nC. For what charge
q1 will charge q2
be in static equilibrium?

Homework Equations


F = (K*q1*q2)/(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not sure where to go after acknowledging that Fq1->q = -Fq2->q
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 9.28.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 9.28.56 PM.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 4,750
Physics news on Phys.org
rocapp said:

Homework Statement


In the figure below the charge in the middle is
Q = -3.7 nC. For what charge
q1 will charge q2
be in static equilibrium?

Homework Equations


F = (K*q1*q2)/(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not sure where to go after acknowledging that Fq1->q = -Fq2->q
attachment.php?attachmentid=56732&d=1363310960.png



Let's see ...

q1 is twice the distance from q2 that Q is from q2, and we have an inverse square law.
 
rocapp said:
So that means the force is (3.7^2) = ~14 nC?
The unit for force is not Coulombs .

Why would you square the charge anyway ?
 
I misunderstood the inverse square law.

F=q1=q2=k*q1*q2/r^2 = k*q1*Q/(r/2)^2

(9x10^9)*(q1*q2)/400 = (9x10^9)*q1*(3.7)/100

q1*q2/400 = q1*0.037
q2 = 14.8 N = F

Is that correct?
 
rocapp said:
I misunderstood the inverse square law.

F=q1=q2=k*q1*q2/r^2 = k*q1*Q/(r/2)^2

(9x10^9)*(q1*q2)/400 = (9x10^9)*q1*(3.7)/100

q1*q2/400 = q1*0.037
q2 = 14.8 N = F

Is that correct?
Doubling distance reduces force to 1/4 , so to compensate for that, charge must be 4 times what is would be at Q . (Of course with opposite sign.)

So, is 14.8 = (4)(3.7) ?

... Yes. So you're O.K.
 
Oh! Wow, that's a lot simpler than I was trying to make it. Thanks!